Here is the HIT on the test generator.  The original post is
at the top,  with the answers below.

A big THANKS to all who responded.

TARget:

He is looking for a web or LAN based test generator.
 a.. The system must be able to accept imbedded graphics or
animations on the test pages.
 b.. It needs to handle Y/N and multiple - choice questions.
 c.. Some short essay capability would be a positive.
 d.. Grading/scoring should be automatic on Y/N and multiple
choice questions. (manual scoring on the essay)
 e.. There should be a report function with a good feature
set for customizing reports.
 f.. Answer (item) analysis is a must.

Hi,

  This may be too simple for your friend, it doesn't cost
near 7K a year, more like $45.00. It is quia.com. I've used
it all year, allowing students to take their tests on line,
at home, and in school. Reports are available, multiple
versions, it seems to have everything he is looking for. Oh,
and good tech support! They offer a 30 day free trial.
Nothing to lose! Good luck. P

Pat

per year.

Rebecca

==========

I recommend your friend look to yacapaca.com.  I am not sure
if animations can be embedded, but am quite certain the
other conditions you mentioned are supported.  Good luck.

Michele

================

He should look into Moodle.  And it's open-source

does just about everything you listed.  I used it last year
with one science class.  I don't remember the animation
part, but I don't think I tried to add any of those.
You can check it out at www.quia.com/web
The quick tour is here: http://www.quia.com/quicktour.html
I don't see a mention of animations.

Susie

=========

Check out Moodle.  It is open source software that can od
all you want.

Darla

Tim O'Shaughnessy
Library / Media Center
Moline High School
Moline, IL.
three.zero.nine.seven.four.three.eight.nine.zero.two
toshaugh_AT_molineschools_DOT_org