measure

*Author: *

Shawn Ashley

*Date: *

05/08/2009

(OK) Gov. Brad Henry vetoed a bill Friday that he said would turn back on
the clock on decades of education reforms.
Henry vetoed SB 834, by Sen. John Ford, R-Bartlesville and Rep. Tad Jones,
R-Claremore. The bill creates the School District Empowerment Program to be
administered by the State Department of Education. The bill requires the
department to exempt any school district that participates in the program
from all statutory requirements and department rules from which charter
schools are exempt, except that the district will continue to be required to
enroll all students who are residents of the district. The bill requires the
department to implement the program beginning in the 2010-2011 school year
for school districts which include a school that has been identified for
school improvement for the 2009-2010 school year by the State Board of
Education under the federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965.
The bill requires the board to randomly select 20 percent of school
districts from specific categories for implementation of the program
beginning with the 2011-2012 school year. In the House, the bill was amended
to include language allowing any school district board of education from
choosing to follow any or all state laws, rules or regulations from which a
charter school is exempt. It also adds a requirement for districts to comply
with evaluation and training of teachers and personnel, as well as
compliance with dismissal and due process procedures. It directs compliance
with the requirement to make payroll deductions for either or both
professional organization dues and political contributions upon the request
of an employee, and it requires certification of teachers, counselors,
librarians, school nurses, superintendents, principals, supervisors and
others. The measure also requires districts to offer and students to
complete curriculum requirements and demonstrate mastery of the state
academic content standards. It also states members of a district's education
board must be required to satisfy the instruction and continuing education
requirements of the state.

Henry had until Monday to act on the bill.

Henry said while supporters of the measure claimed the bill would increase
local control and give districts more flexibility, he believed the tradeoff
would be weaker standards across the board.

"While local control is an important component of a successful public
education system, it is also critical to have rigorous state standards in
place to produce the highest quality graduates and ensure achievement and
accountability throughout the system. Recognizing the importance of such
uniform standards, public and private sector leaders have advocated and
implemented numerous reforms in recent years to raise the academic bar for
all students and schools," Henry said in his veto message.
"Senate Bill 834 would essentially turn back the clock on much of that
important progress and weaken landmark reforms by allowing school
administrators to create their own rules and ignore more rigorous state
standards, including, but not limited to, the smaller class size mandates
championed by former Gov. Henry Bellmon and Oklahoma voters in the historic
passage of House Bill 1017 in 1990. SB 834 would also endanger such worthy
programs as full-day kindergarten and alternative education in addition to
making optional such critical personnel as school librarians and counselors"
Henry added.

Henry also said that SB 834 was not in the best interest of Oklahoma
teachers because it weakened or eliminated rights and benefits provided to
them, including due process rights guaranteed under the constitution.

"These provisions would also undermine ongoing efforts to attract and retain
the best and brightest teachers in Oklahoma, something that is critically
important, particularly for a state that is routinely recognized for having
some of the best educators in the nation," said the governor. "At a time
when we are working to send the signal that Oklahoma is serious about
improving its education system and producing high-quality graduates who can
compete in the 21st century global economy, it would be a disastrous step
backward to approve legislation that weakens state standards, abolishes
historic reforms and reduces rights and benefits provided to teachers."

The bill's authors expressed disappointment at the governor's veto.
"We are obviously extremely disappointed in the governor's veto of Senate
Bill 834," said Jones in a press release. "Over the last several years we
have worked side-by-side with Gov. Henry on needed education reform like
increasing teacher pay by an average of $5,000 annually and raising
standards with the Achieving Classroom Excellence program.

"This legislation would have empowered local school districts to take more
control over their unique educational environments with the hope of seeing
improvement in our system statewide. Unfortunately today Gov. Henry endorsed
more of the same with his veto of this important step needed to improve
education in our state," Jones added.

"Despite the Governor's veto today, we are still hopeful for reform in
Oklahoma's education system," said Ford in a press release. "Just because
the legislation was vetoed does not mean this is the end of finding ways to
enhance education for Oklahoma's children. I look forward to embracing
education opportunities with the help of the Governor, education
professionals, the business community and parents to find ways to improve
the quality of our education. I think we all can agree that where we
currently are is not where we would like to be."

Senate President Pro Tempore Glenn Coffee, R-Oklahoma City, called the veto
an unfortunate loss for Oklahoma schools.

"I'm very disappointed in the Governor's response to this very reasonable
and widely-supported reform," said Coffee. "Our goal was to unleash local
school districts to educate their students in a manner most befitting their
unique situations. We will continue to work with the Governor and the
education establishment to bring positive reform for the benefit of our
students."
House Speaker Chris Benge, R-Tulsa, said the veto denied needed reforms.

"In vetoing SB 834, the governor has denied school districts much-needed
freedom to meet our educational goals," said Speaker Benge. "We continue to
believe those locally, including parents, teachers and administrators, know
what is best when it comes to education in their local communities. We
aren't going to give up this fight for the children of our state."

--
Shonda Brisco
Assistant Professor / Curriculum Materials Librarian

http://okschoollibrarians.wikispaces.com
http://okschoollibrarians.ning.com/

"Digital Resources" columnist
School Library Journal

"Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get
you through times of no libraries." ~ Library Poster