Hi to all,

Thank you for the informative responses. I will pass them on to you all
below.

Carol McGann

Delaware Twp School District

Sergeantsville, NJ 08557

cmcgann@dtsk8.org

I work in a private school and we use BookSmart.  It's my first year and
our annual book fair is next week.

When I left, the librarian who took over for me used ALL BOOK.  I went
back to check it out.  I was VERY impressed!  I had always sold about
18-20,000 for my fall fair.  She sold way over 20!  Really!  ALL BOOKS!
It was impressive.

Set up is tougher or at least it was.  They are based out of NJ.  I know
Deb would highly recommend them.

There has been quite a bit of discussion about a different book fair
company.  I recently heard a rep from Usborne Books.  I was impressed,
and so were the other librarians at the meeting, with the quality of the
books.

And, we were all impressed with her Book Fair information.  She said
that the company would custom fit the book fair to your school's
demographics. No extraneous materials. They believe book fairs should
promote reading. She said she would come  in and help set up the fair
and even help man it if necessary.

If you have specific types of books: those on your state list, for
example, they will work with you to get those. Also, they usually
provide a number of bargain priced books (still good quality, she
assured us) for those who can't afford the higher priced books. She
tries to get a good mix of prices.

I can't remember the details about how much you would make on the fair,
but I remember it sounded good.

They also offer online book fairs.

Here is the Usborne Book url: http://www.usbornebooks.com/

Here is the contact for the rep I heard if you want more info and
perhaps a contact person for your area:
http://www.enjoyreadingusborne.com <http://www.enjoyreadingusborne.com/>

Some of your local book stores (Barnes and Noble) sponsor book fairs,
but you have to go to the store.  I don't think they come to schools.

I've been through this and fought this battle and just given up.  I
don't unpack the toys.  I sell pencils and erasers to the kids who can't
afford the books, but when they're gone, they're gone.  I've dealt with
Adventureland Books, but wouldn't recommend them.  Just not the variety
of titles like with Scholastic.  I've checked into the local
Books-A-Million - they'll do fairs too, but I'm not sure if the prices
are competative.  One thing you may choose to do - and it'd be a lot of
work, but hit the Scholastic warehouse sales, stock up on the books
cheap, then sell them for sticker price.  If you figure out what to do,
please let me know!

Barnes & Nobel does book fairs and Books are Fun does book fairs

If you have been using Scholastic for Book Fairs, I would suggest you
just tell them you only want books, none (or a smaller portion) of the
other "fluff". They will work with you on requests like that.

Barnes and Noble has some kind of Book Fair they offer. I picked up a
flyer the other day, but haven't read it. They may have something on
their web site.