Good Morning All!

I have a dilemma and need your expert advice.  My school serves grades 1-4.  We
have an on-again-off-again AR program.  Our students check out books weekly (and
rotate in when we have free time.)  In addition, we check out class sets of books
to teachers for students to read when there is extra time.

What do you do when teachers "lose" these books?  Many times, students take them
home and just don't return them.  They are wise enough to know they aren't checked
out to them, so there are no consequences for not returning the books.  I made a
student classroom check-out list to keep on a clipboard that had the students enter
their name, and barcode number for the classroom books, but the teachers complained
it was too much trouble.

So.  What do I do?  When I took over this library 2 years ago, teachers had "lost"
a total of 52 titles the previous year.  What makes it even worse, is that most of
these titles are AR books that need to be replaced, as now we have a test, but no
book.  My principal doesn't want to make the teachers pay for them - so right now,
I'm just losing books left and right.  It's taking a chunk of my budget to replace
these titles, and I feel like I'm not able to get ahead.  Students are turning
their books in this week and I'm beginning to generate the "still-out" lists for
teachers and students.  I'd love to be able to take something to my principal to
help share the responsibility/accountability for this problem.  It may not help me
this year, but it could next year.  Words of wisdom...anyone?       hg

Holly Gillum, LMS
Anderson Elementary
Crossett, AR 71635
exlibrishg@yahoo.com

"Reading gives you some place to go when you have to stay where you are."  ~Mason
Cooley