Richie's Picks: THE MAGICIAN'S ELEPHANT by  Kate DiCamillo, illustrated by
Yoko Tanaka, Candlewick, September 2009, 208p.,  ISBN: 978-0-7636-4410-9

"You may say that I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only  one"
-- John Lennon

I'd been waiting for just the right book to send to a  nine-year-old I met
last month.  After getting my opportunity  to enjoy THE MAGICIAN'S ELEPHANT,
I knew that I'd found what I'd been  waiting for.  I immediately mailed it
off to her.

And, yet, there are so many layers and so much to  consider in Kate
DiCamillo's upcoming tale of the  possible that I will not be in the least
surprised  when someone employs it as the subject of a Master's  thesis.

Standing under a street lamp on a back lane in San  Francisco, reading in
the shivery night breeze off of the Bay, I was taken up  and transported to
late 1800s Baltese.

"Leo Matienne had the soul of a poet, and because of this, he  liked very
much to consider questions that had no answers.

"He liked to ask 'What if?" and 'Why not?' and 'Could it  possibly be?'"

I'm a proud and unrepentant dreamer.  I feel no  shame for asking the sort
of questions that Leo -- a short policeman with  an impossibly large
mustache -- asks.  I chafe at being informed that  "That's just the way it is." or
"There's nothing that can be done  about it." or that "Rules are there for a
reason and need to be  followed."  I'm just dumb enough or crazy enough  to
believe that anything can happen.  And so a story about how -- when
everyone comes together -- they can make anything come true is sweet music to my
soul.

Amidst a cold, endless, dark and gray winter  without snow, the young
orphan Peter Augustus  Duchene has been informed by a fortuneteller that his
little sister, Adele, is actually alive -- contrary to what Peter's  guardian,
a former soldier, has always stated.  But where,  then, is Adele?  The
fortuneteller tells Peter that the  elephant will lead him to his sister.

But that is impossible!  There are no elephants so far  from Africa and
India, in a miserably cold, gray place like  Baltese.

(At least not yet.)

Enter the elephant:

"Not far from the Apartments Polonaise, across the rooftops  and through
the darkness of the winter night, stood the Bliffendorf Opera House,  and that
evening upon its stage, a magician of advanced years and failing
reputation performed the most astonishing magic of his career.

"He intended to conjure a bouquet of lilies, but instead, the  magician
brought forth an elephant.
"The elephant came crashing through the ceiling of the opera  house amid a
shower of plaster dust and roofing tiles and landed in the lap of a
noblewoman, a certain Madam Bettine La Vaughn, to whom the magician had intended
to present the bouquet.
"Madam LaVaughn's legs were crushed.  She was thereafter  confined to a
wheelchair and given to exclaiming often, and in a voice of  wonder, in the
midst of some conversation that had nothing at all to do with  elephants or
roofs, 'But perhaps you do not understand.  I was crippled by  an elephant!
Crippled by an elephant that came through the  roof!'
"As for the magician, he was immediately, at the behest of  Madam LaVaughn,
imprisoned."

So now there's an elephant, but things seem even more  impossibly out of
sorts.  This poor elephant, who never sought a trip  to the opera and who is
now so far away from home and her loving  family, is being held captive in an
undisclosed location by the  police.  How will Peter track down the
elephant and then  persuade her to lead him to Adele?  What of the magician whose
hubris  has caused such pain but may now be the catalyst for so much joy?

In the end, it will take everyone's involvement -- including  Madam
LaVaughn's -- to make the impossible possible.

"No one knows for sure
Something might come along
That could save the day and help us out
And fix whatever's wrong"
-- Peter Alsop

"'What if?'
"'Why not?'
"'Could it possibly be?"'

Just imagine what real world problems could be solved if  we all joined
forces to do so.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
_http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks_ (http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks)