Here is the first part of what we found.  The original question was from our
English Department Chair regarding research that showed how non-readers
become readers - specifically that it is not necessarily "literature" but
any writing that can help.

*****

On a closely related note, I am preparing to push a schoolwide Sustained
Silent Reading Program next year, and found *The SSR Handbook* by Janice
Pilgreen very helpful.

http://www.trelease-on-reading.com/

Atwell, Nancie. The Reading Zone: How to Help Kids Become Skilled,
Passionate, Habitual, Critical Readers. New York: Scholastic, 2007. Atwell
presents an in-depth study of the readers' workshop model she uses at the
K-8 demonstration school she founded in Edgecomb, Maine, in 1990. While the
book focuses primarily on the use of readers' workshops at the middle school
level, most of the ideas presented are adaptable to other grade levels.
Atwell also includes some specific information relevant to elementary and
high school teachers. Her accounts of molding real readers are at once
practical and inspirational.

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Whisperer-Awakening-Inner-Reader/dp/0470372273/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241182550&sr=8-1

"I would show him the work of Jon Sciezka (
http://us.penguingroup.com/static/packages/us/yreaders/guysread/jon.html)
and READING FOR THE LOVE OF IT (by Landsburg) and the new book by Reid from
A.L.A. - there are many good articles in the International Reading
Association publications as well."

Steven Krashen: http://www.sdkrashen.com/

Here is another source that may help your teacher find out what's involved
in learning to read: http://www.readingrockets.org/teaching/reading101

I don't know if this will help, but the April 20, 2009 edition of Newsweek
had an article in their "Books" section called "Why Is It a Sin to Read for
Fun?"  You can read it at:
http://services.newsweek.com//search.aspx?offset=0&pageSize=10&sortField=pubdatetime&sortDirection=descending&mode=summary&q=why+is+it+a+sin+to+read+for+fun&site-search-submit.x=63&site-search-submit.y=10&site-search-submit=0(How's
that for a url?)

Below are links to info that (I hope) you are able to use. They're not
exactly studies, but hopefully they might help.
http://www.dailycardinal.com/article/21200
http://www.sdkrashen.com/articles/decline_of_reading/all.html

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:jlmMztTfjcgJ:www.loopdeloop.ca/reluctant_readers/group3_text.doc+graphic+novels+non-readers&cd=14&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

I just have anecdotal evidence but the key is getting the right book to the
right kid at the right time.  Easy! ;-)  The one example that stands out in
my mind was two junior girls in my school.  We participate in the California
Young Reader Medal program here so every year I go to each English class and
present the books (I also do tons of in-class book talks throughout the
year).  In 2006-07 one of the CYRM titles was Emako Blue by Brenda Woods.
 About a week after the presentations these two girls came in to take the AR
quiz on Emako Blue.  They both told me proudly that it was the first book
they had ever finished and this was their first AR quiz.  On the one hand it
is sad that juniors in high school could say they had never finished a book
before but on the other hand we got to them before they left school.  They
loved the book and wanted more like it.  For those girls, at that time, that
book struck a chord.  I had been making presentations in their classes for
three years but had never piqued their interest.  I think being able to read
the book with a friend was a big factor also.

(Again based only on my own 13 years of library experience) There are three
essential conditions for getting kids to turn that corner.
1. A constant supply of new books.  If I hadn't had money to buy books that
year we might have never gotten to those girls.  And for reluctant readers
you have to be willing to get books that might invite challenges, but no
guts, no glory.
2. Someone who knows the literature and the kids and can bring the two
together.  Of course I am thinking primarily of librarians but classroom
teachers or other adults could fill that role.
3. Time to bring the kids and books together.  In secondary schools this is
especially problematic.  It has taken me years of working with my staff to
get the opportunity to go into classrooms and do book talks.

My students and I recently published an article in which we review some of
the research on reading motivation and then suggest some easy-to-implement,
tested ways to motivate students to read. It is entitled, "Reading
Incentives That Work: No-Cost Strategies to Motivate Kids to Read and Love
It!" and appears in the May 2009 issue of School Library Media Activities
Monthly (vol. XXV, no. 9, pp 27-31).

*****

Thanks to everyone!

Laura Pearle
Head Librarian
Hackley School
lpearle@gmail.com

A library is a fueling station for your mind.  -- Steve Leveen