Hi all,

New legislation has been introduced to address Internet safety. As some of
you may recall, I had concerns with the prior bill. I am very happy to
report that Senator Menendez's staff was very receptive to adjustments in
the language.

I am exceptionally delighted with the language of this new bill. Most
specifically, the provisions of this bill that focus on ensuring that the
educational approaches implemented are grounded in research insight and
effective risk prevention will move us in the right direction. This will
shift us from the current fear-based messages that impart simplistic rules
against normative online behavior to approaches that will impart the
knowledge, skills, and values for young people to protect themselves and
others online. It will also ensure that we provide parents with the insight
necessary to work in a positive partnership with their children related to
their online activities.

I strongly urge you to take just a few moments and send a quick email to
your representative and senator to indicate support for this legislation.

Nancy

--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online Social
Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 13, 2009

CONTACTS:
Menendez Press Office 202-224-4744

KEEPING CHILDREN AND TEENS SAFE ONLINE:

SEN. MENENDEZ, REP. WASSERMAN SCHULTZ PROPOSE NATIONAL GRANT PROGRAM FOR
INTERNET AND WIRELESS SAFETY EDUCATION

They are joined by Cynthia Logan, whose daughter took her own life after
"sexting" incident, as well as Miss Utah 2008 and national cybersafety
leaders

WASHINGTON - As the Internet and wireless devices play increasingly
important roles in the lives of children and teens, and as dangers such as
"sexting" and "cyberbullying" become increasingly prevalent, U.S. Senator
Robert Menendez (D-NJ) and Congresswoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz (D-FL)
today unveiled legislation that would support and develop programs
nationwide to educate schoolchildren, teachers and parents about keeping the
Internet safe for children and teens.

The School And Family Education about the Internet (SAFE Internet) Act will
create a grant program to support existing and new Internet safety education
programs that meet guidelines based on the cybersafety strategies found to
be most effective. In announcing the bill, the lawmakers were joined by
Cynthia Logan, who has become a nationally-known Internet safety advocate
after her daughter Jessie took her own life following a sexting incident;
Miss Utah 2008, Kayla Barclay, whose platform is Internet safety; Parry
Aftab, executive director of WiredSafety; and Judi Westberg Warren, CEO of
Web Wise Kids.

Senator Menendez said: "The way to meet the challenges and opportunities the
Internet presents isn't to deny our children access to this great resource
but to make sure they know how to use it wisely. Just as we make sure our
children know not to talk to strangers, not to bully kids on the playground,
and not to give out their personal information, we have the same
responsibility to teach them to apply these values online. That's why I'm
introducing this bill to make Internet safety the strong federal priority it
should be."

Congresswoman Wasserman Schultz, a mother of three young children under 10,
said: "The Internet has opened up the world for our children, but it has
also opened up our children to the world. Educating children must be our
first line of defense to keep them safe from the dangers of online
predators, cyber-bullies, 'sexting,' and other online dangers. This bill
will help fund high quality, engaging, and age-appropriate Internet safety
education programs to teach our children how to be smart and safe online and
reduce their risk of being victimized by Internet crime."

Cynthia Logan said: "My daughter, Jessie, sought the help from her school
when a picture meant only for her boyfriend was shared with everyone. She
took her own life after no one would help her stop the harassment. The SAFE
Internet law will help teach schools how to respond when one of their
students is victimized online. I want to thank Senator Menendez and Rep.
Wasserman Schultz for caring about our children."

Kayla Barclay said: "My goal as Miss Utah is to help make our families safer
online. I have become a WiredSafety Ambassador to help spread the 'what were
you thinking?' message to high school and college students. The SAFE
Internet bill will make my job easier by giving schools, families and
students themselves the information and tools they need to make smart
choices online."

Parry Aftab, Executive Director of Wired Safety said: "It takes a
cybervillage to keep our kids safe online - engaged industry leaders,
connected schools, empowered parents, attentive law enforcement, informed
kids and responsive policymakers. The SAFE Internet law brings all
stakeholders together and encourages them to collaborate to deliver
effective programs. Programs with merit will finally get the support they
deserve. We've waited years for this. Thank you."

Judi Westerberg Warren, CEO of Web Wise Kids, said: "Web Wise Kids applauds
Senator Menendez and Congresswoman Wasserman Schultz for their leadership in
sponsoring this bill and recognizing the critical importance of programs to
keep children safe in a cyber world. Today's digital world presents a
tremendous opportunity for innovation but also significant challenges to
keep children safe. Our kids' futures depend on their understanding and
leveraging technology in a smart way. We urge swift passage of this
legislation which will help prevent online victimization of millions of
children."

Jim Steyer, CEO and founder of Common Sense Media, said: "The Internet and
digital media are already an integral part of our kids' lives. That means
it's up to all of us - parents, educators and policymakers - to provide the
best possible tools to help them become great digital citizens and to help
them make smart, safe choices about the media they consume and create.
Technology is here to stay and this legislation is a great way to make sure
kids have the tools they need for the future."

School And Family Education about the Internet Act (SAFE Internet) Act

Short summary: This bill would establish an Internet safety education grant
program.  It would initially fund research to determine best practices in
Internet safety education and create guidelines for the grants. Then, using
those guidelines, grants would be awarded to the following eligible
recipients:
1.    a partnership between a State Educational Agency (SEA) and one or more
Local Education Agencies (LEA); or
2.    a LEA of a State; or
3.    a non-profit organization; or
4.    a partnership between a nonprofit organization and -
a.    one or more SEAs; or
b.    one or more LEAs; or
c.    a consortium of schools.

For the following purposes:
1.    identify, develop, and distribute Internet safety education programs,
including, but not limited to, educational technology, multimedia
applications, online resources, and lesson plans;
2.    provide professional training in Internet safety and Internet media
literacy to teachers, administrators, and other staff;
3.    develop youth online risk prevention programs;
4.    train and support peer-driven Internet safety education initiatives;
5.    coordinate and fund research initiatives that investigate youth online
risks and Internet safety education;
6.    develop and implement media campaigns to promote awareness of youth
online risks and Internet safety education; and
7.    educate parents about identifying and protecting their children from
online risks;

Grant applications that have one or more of the following characteristics
will be prioritized in the selection process:
*    are collaborative
*    target at-risk children
*    provide services at no-cost to schools
*    accommodate multiple languages
*    accommodate differing levels of technological sophistication
*    have a plan to continue program after grant funds run out

Funding: Authorized at $35 million per year from FY2010 through FY2014.

More details:
This legislation would authorize a five year grant program, under which each
grant will be awarded for a two year period.  Grant guidance and awards will
be administered by the DOJ, in concurrence with the Department of Education,
and the Department of Health & Human Services (the applicable agency heads),
and in consultation with education, Internet safety, and other relevant
experts.  This grant guidance will also be in line with established
principles and research-based recommendations as provided in the Act.  The
applicable agency heads shall contract with an independent research
organization to conduct an initial investigation of current Internet safety
education programs and youth online risk.

This research group shall have 3 months to report the following:
1.    The nature and prevalence of current Internet safety education
programs and any evidence-based research conducted on them already;
2.    Findings regarding at risk children; and
3.    Any other area the applicable agency heads shall require.
This research group shall also identify gaps in Internet safety education
and youth online risk research.

As the grant administration process continues, and as the appropriation
level permits, the applicable agency heads shall contract with the research
organization to continue research in the identified gap areas.  The research
organization shall report its findings back to the applicable agency heads
and the findings shall be included in the Final Report to Congress.

Funds appropriated under the grant program may also be used to support media
awareness campaigns, which will be another way to disseminate the research
and messages out to schools, parents, teachers, and kids.

This Final Report will use this research, grantee reports, and testimony
from hearings, to further refine best practices in Internet safety.  The
goal is to use independent, more comprehensive research and objective
studies of the effectiveness of individual Internet safety programs to
confirm what really works, and what protects children best.

# # #