I have been doing the Dewey Diner (Chez Dewey) activity with my fourth graders.  I
had a shortened period this week where I would not have time to do the full dining
experience.  I entered the class and told the students we wouldn't be doing Dewey
Diner, and they all groaned.  I have never had that response about a missed Dewey
lesson before!  So I told them sometimes, when my family is really busy we don't
have time for a full sit down dinner.  The kids caught on immediately and yelled
out fast food.  One girl even yelled out McDewey (which is what I had already named
it).  I made bookmark sized menus with McDewey on the top and the 10 classes with a
brief description.  Students paired up and could order 2 items from the menu.
Since at fast food places you bus your own tables, the customer had to reshelve the
books before it was their turn to be the McDewey clerk.  It filled the time I had
available perfectly, the kids loved it, and they had practice shelving non-fiction
books.

Patty Molm

Librarian

Oak Grove Lutheran Elementary