Hi all,

I just posted some new materials for schools on my site at http://csriu.org
- home page. These are two documents that schools can freely reproduce and
send home to parents in advance of summer. This is something you might
consider including in your last school newsletter. Feel free to distribute
this message on other distribution lists so other educators will know of the
availability of these free materials.

One of these documents is for parents of elementary students - the other for
parents of secondary students. Each document is reproducible on one piece of
paper. The front page provides guidance for parents (continued on back for
the elementary version). There are also tips for students.

There is also an article I wrote on Summertime in Cyberspace in the
BNetS@vvy newsletter.
http://bnetsavvy.org/wp/summertime-in-cyberspace-helping-kids-make-safe-choi
ces/

The guidance in these documents is grounded in research insight and
effective risk prevention. You all know that I do not think that fear-based
messages and simplistic rules against normative online behavior will be at
all effective. In these documents I encourage positive and active parent
involvement - which research has shown lead to less risk taking behavior.

I am closing in on completion of some narrated slides presentations for
professional development. Most should be ready for your summertime learning.
(I do know what life is like for teachers at this time of the year - but,
after you catch your breath, you might want to learn something new this
summer. ;-)) The titles almost completed include:

Cyber Safe & Savvy Students (key issues in Internet safety for all teachers
- basic professional development for teachers to increase the effectiveness
of schools in implementing the new CIPA Internet safety education
requirements)

Cyberbullying & Cyberthreats (primarily for administrators and other safe
school professionals, as well as educational technology professionals)

Web 2.0 in Schools: Effective Internet Use Management & Legal Issues
(educational technology professionals, librarians, and administrators - will
also include a template Web 2.0 Internet use policy)

Youth Risk Online (counselors, psychologists, health teachers, and community
mental health professionals)

These will range from 90 minutes to 3 hours. Each will have extensive
presentation notes. I am working with the U of Oregon to allow viewers to
obtain Continuing Education Units. They will be available for individual use
or for trainers to use with groups of educators by simply paying for
reproduction of the presentation notes through Copyright Clearance Center.
Given the economic challenges we all face, I am hoping this will be an
effective and low cost way for educators to gain a new understanding of
these very new issues.

Before the next school year I will have Internet safety narrated slides
presentations and materials for secondary school students and for parents of
both elementary and secondary students on Internet safety. The student
materials will allow you to have a one-class session presentation (assembly
in a box) for students on Internet safety. The parent presentations can be
used for a parent workshops - and can also be made available for parent
viewing on computers at the school or on a protected web site.

The information and approach in the documents that are now available is
expanded in these other materials. I also intend to complete a new
presentation entitled Consuming and Creating in a Web 2.0 World.

If you are discussing Internet safety instruction for next year, I will
mention that I continue to recommend the CYBERSmart curriculum especially
for elementary students. Their material for middle school students is also
good. My materials and approach for these students will be different - more
grounded in encouraging student leadership in discussions. Educators have
different instructional styles - so different kinds of instructional
approaches are helpful. I do like to recommend excellent work by my
"competitors."

I would love your feedback on the documents I have made available.

All best.

Nancy

--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.
http://csriu.org

Cyberbullying and Cyberthreats: Responding to the Challenge of Online Social
Aggression, Threats, and Distress (Research Press)

Cyber-Safe Kids, Cyber-Savvy Teens: Helping Young People Learn to Use the
Internet Safely and Responsibly (Jossey-Bass)