From what I can see, this is a recreation of a true story, so that's why it falls
in between both Fiction and Memoir.
Here's SLJ's review:

From School Library Journal
YA During World War II, the
Gypsies were targeted for extermination in a campaign that was second
only to the campaign against the Jews. Thousands of Gypsies perished.
Ramati planned to do a book on this lesser-known episode when he
accidentally encountered a Gypsy who had lived through the horror and
recorded his experiences informally. This book, then, is a recreation
by Ramati of Roman Mirga's written notes. Despite initial awkwardness
in portraying the Mirga family, the horrifying story of their flight
from a comfortable life in Warsaw to their ultimate imprisonment is
electrifying. The 17-year-old narrator becomes the translator for Dr.
Josef Mengele; the father has the bizarre task of playing the violin to
calm the Jews as they walk to the crematoriums. Fear, separation, and
death mix constantly with disbelief that this could really be
happening. It is a lesson which must never be lost. Barbara Weathers,
Duchesne Academy, Houston

I guess I would classify it as historical fiction

Marie Edwards

Canarsie High School Library
Brooklyn, NY 11232
may_1010@yahoo.com