Can I share too? I had a 4th grader who had two overdue library books (total
$19.00) She insisted that the books were returned. Of course they weren't,
and like you, I took a low-key approach to it when I contacted the mom, who
had been ignoring the overdue notices. The mom's e-mail response was
priceless. At the end of her vent she told me that she refused to pay the
replacement fee for "ratty old library books that she can buy on Amazon for
.01." when she knows for a fact that her child returned the books.  The mom
could well afford to replace the books and we certainly would have refunded
the money if the books turned up. In addition to dissing my magnificent
collection, she told her child that she is not check out library books from
our library.

Last week, doesn't the child come in to the library with the missing books?
And didn't she want to check out books?  It was with great irony that I told
the student that her mom didn't want her to check out any of our old, ratty
library books.

Rosanne Zajko - Librarian
Ancillae Assumpta Academy
Wyncote, Pa