I think we all could tell horror stories about overdue books.  I wish I had a
nickel for every kid who never checked the book out/returned it so someone else
must have it.  I wouldn't have to deal with overdues anymore and could spend my
winters in a warm climate!  As I keep asking my aide, "What are the chances that
the very book the kid has on his record got returned, put on the shelf without
being checked in, then another kid took it out of the library without checking it
out?"  Both wrong things happen, but on every book that just happens to be one I'm
looking for.  I don't think so.

This week I had one of the secretaries in the district's daughter turn up with an
overdue.  She of course told me she never checked it out.  I said we don't just
check out books to people for the heck of it.  She went right to her mother (never
even looked for the book).  Mother of course got involved. "I see all the books she
brings home, that one never came home".  You guys know the drill.  The girl is a
sixth grader.  Mom is crazy if she thinks she knows everything about her daughter's
life.  They even got the teacher involved.  Teacher has never seen kid check out a
"big" book.  I'm sure it's in her locker, or lost in a classroom AR tub if anybody
would bother to look for it.

I can't wait for next week when I mail the letters home to get the books back for
the summer to see what excuses people come up with this year!

Currently reading Bad News/Good News
and starting the Rebecca Caudill list for 2010

Janet Perry, Prek-12 Librarian
Cerro Gordo CUSD 100, Cerro Gordo, IL
perrybros@hotmail.com