From: School Library Media & Network Communications [LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On
Behalf Of Jacqueline Henry [jhenry@GANANDA.ORG]
Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2009 5:59 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: GEN I've been smoked

It doesn't always work....but if a student claims to have never taken
out a book, I pull up a picture of the book from Amazon.  That often
jogs their memory.  Some kids remember the way a book looks, even when
they have forgotten the title.

Jacquie

“Education is not about filling a pail, it’s about lighting a fire."  ~
William Butler Yeats

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School (GHS)
Gananda Central School District
3195 Wiedrick Road
P.O. Box 609
Macedon, NY  14502
315-986-3521 x 3144
jhenry@gananda.org
Library Page: http://www.gananda.org/library/mshslibrary/indexgcl.htm
Blog - Library Links For Teachers: http://rachslibrary.edublogs.org/
Blog - WanderingsL
http://wanderings.edublogs.org/
>>> janet perry <perrybros@HOTMAIL.COM> 05/16/09 6:44 PM >>>
I think we all could tell horror stories about overdue books.  I wish I
had a nickel for every kid who never checked the book out/returned it so
someone else must have it.  I wouldn't have to deal with overdues
anymore and could spend my winters in a warm climate!  As I keep asking
my aide, "What are the chances that the very book the kid has on his
record got returned, put on the shelf without being checked in, then
another kid took it out of the library without checking it out?"  Both
wrong things happen, but on every book that just happens to be one I'm
looking for.  I don't think so.

This week I had one of the secretaries in the district's daughter turn
up with an overdue.  She of course told me she never checked it out.  I
said we don't just check out books to people for the heck of it.  She
went right to her mother (never even looked for the book).  Mother of
course got involved. "I see all the books she brings home, that one
never came home".  You guys know the drill.  The girl is a sixth grader.
 Mom is crazy if she thinks she knows everything about her daughter's
life.  They even got the teacher involved.  Teacher has never seen kid
check out a "big" book.  I'm sure it's in her locker, or lost in a
classroom AR tub if anybody would bother to look for it.

I can't wait for next week when I mail the letters home to get the books
back for the summer to see what excuses people come up with this year!

Currently reading Bad News/Good News
and starting the Rebecca Caudill list for 2010

Janet Perry, Prek-12 Librarian
Cerro Gordo CUSD 100, Cerro Gordo, IL
perrybros@hotmail.com

To change your LM_NET status, you send a message to:
listserv@listserv.syr.edu

 * LM_NET Supporters:
http://lmnet.wordpress.com/category/links/el-announce/