There has been some suggestions about leaving an overdue on a kid's record.  I do
that until the account has cleared.  I also put a hold for me on the book, so I
know if/when it comes in.  Particularly in middle school, the book is often left in
the gym, cafeteria, etc., and someone else brings it back.  Once the account is
cleared by paying for the book, I check it out to my favorite patron "old overdue",
and leave the hold on.  I have a separate category for Mr. Overdue, so he doesn't
show up on an all school overdue list. (He currently has 50+ checkouts.) Having a
hold on the book alerts me to the fact that the book is back and I need to return
the money. After a couple years, when I KNOW the book isn't coming back, I purge
the old records.  It never ceases to amaze me how many people will pay for a book,
and then "find" it within the week and return it.  To me it says they just didn't
look very hard.  I always tell the kids to search the AR tubs, because that's where
a lot of them turn up, but they don't seem to get it.

In the grade school, it's very interesting.  Some classes have almost no overdues
at all, and never one for more than a week or two.  Others have chronic overdues of
long duration.  The teacher's attitude really makes a difference.  By the way, we
don't charge fines, so there is no penalty for long overdue books other than not
being able to check out.

Janet Perry, Prek-12 Librarian Cerro Gordo CUSD 100, Cerro Gordo, IL
perrybros@hotmail.com

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.