I posted a brief users guide to Wolfram Alpha to this list last
Friday. If you missed it, here's the URL.

http://is.gd/B1z7

cheers,
gary

Quoting "Hastings, Jeff" <HASTINGJ@HOWELLSCHOOLS.COM>:

> Or, if you haven't seen it yet, you're GONNA want it.
>
> YOU GUYS: I found out about Wolfram Alpha from reading Joyce Valenza's
> Neverending search blog on slj.com. You may want to hit that for a
> fuller review than the thumbnail I'll try and paint below
>
> http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/blog/1340000334.html
>
> Basically, Wolfram Alpha is a computational knowledge engine that, I
> think,  has to be played with to fully understand its potentials. A
> useful tool across disciplines and age ranges, it's like crack for
> info-geeks. I started playing with it last Friday and was really
> impressed doing things like distance calculation and geographical
> comparisons, biological taxonomy, currency conversion and stock
> analysis, calorie and nutrition calculation and lots more. I was so
> impressed, in fact, that I couldn't wait to post a Wolfram Alpha search
> box on my school library's QUICK REFERENCE page. I tossed it up there
> today.
>
> http://www.idiotica.com/cranium/librarysite/content/quickref.html
>
> Which is really why I'm writing. The search boxes for websites can be a
> bit tricky to find. They're available at:
>
> http://www.wolframalpha.com/addtoyoursite.html
>
> There are also widgets for browser toolbars, iGoogle and more available
> in the easy to find DOWNLOADS portion of:
>  www.wolframalpha.com <http://www.wolframalpha.com/>
>
> I haven't been this geeked about a tool in a while. While it failed on a
> couple pretty easy tasks I tried, lots of others worked much better than
> I expected. I can't imagine what it might be capable of five years down
> the road. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it remains uncluttered and
> ad-free as well.
>
> Jeffrey Hastings,
> SLMS Highlander Way Middle School
> Howell, Michigan
>
> You can always respond to: shankhead at gmail dot com (if'n you feels a
> hankerin' to do so.)
>

> LEGAL NOTICE:

> the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not
> delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient,
> you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action
> in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

>   You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting LM_NET postings
>   by adding LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU to your e-mail address book.
> To change your LM_NET status, you send a message to:
> listserv@listserv.syr.edu
> In the message write EITHER:
> 1) SIGNOFF LM_NET
> 2) SET LM_NET NOMAIL
> 3) SET LM_NET MAIL
> 4) SET LM_NET DIGEST
>
>  * LM_NET Help & Information: http://lmnet.wordpress.com/
>  * LM_NET Archive: http://www.eduref.org/lm_net/archive/
>  * EL-Announce with LM_NET Select: http://lm-net.info/join.html
>  * LM_NET Supporters: http://lmnet.wordpress.com/category/links/el-announce/

Gary D. Price, MLIS
Librarian
Director of Online Information Resources, Ask.com
Editor, ResourceShelf and DocuTicker
Gary Price Library Research and Internet Consulting

Visit ResourceShelf and Docuticker
http://www.resourceshelf.com
http://www.docuticker.com