We publish this type of list to the staff at the high school where I
work. In addition I would like to add that this year has been our most
successful year as far as collecting overdue books. What have we done
differently this year? We started a new program: once a book is
overdue, the student gets a notice and a warning that if the book is
not returned, the student will lose computer access. A week later if
the book is still out, the student gets a second notice that he has
lost computer access. What this means in our school is that when a
student is in a class that goes to a computer lab for the hour, that
student must go to In-school Suspension instead. We also have a
considerable number of students who are doing online work, so this is
important to them. This has not worked perfectly, but has been the
best deterrent that I have ever seen. We have a fraction of the
overdue books that we usually have. Our book checkout is closed for
the year and we are down to just 2 (yes, 2) students with overdue
books in a school of 540.

That said, we may not be able to use this procedure next year as it is
rather time consuming to administer, and alas, I have lost my
secretarial help for next year due to budget cuts.

Marsha Redd, Librarian
Kelloggsville High School
Grand Rapids, MI
marsharedd@hotmail.com

Education is not a goal; it is a life-long process. Everyone is a
student. Everyone is a teacher.