From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Jacqueline Henry
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 11:32 AM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: [LM_NET] Target: GEN: Plans for online encycs in a Wikipedia
world?[Spam score: 8%]

Grolier has stopped printing Americana & New Book of Knowledge etc, and
are now publishing only the online version.  I assume World Book and
Britannica are continuing the print version along with the online
version - at least for awhile.

If the "traditional" publishers want to compete with Wikipedia - are
they planning to broaden their coverage?  For instance, our 9th graders
do research on young adult authors every year.  MANY  of those authors
have not reached the level of "fame" etc. to merit inclusion in World
Book, Americana et al.  Wikipedia is often the only place I can send
kids to do the broad, general, beginning research that I would like them
all to start with before getting into author reference sets, whole
biographies etc.

 So - here are my questions....

1.  Do the traditional encyclopedias plan to put online ONLY what they
can feasiblely publish in a print encyclopedia?

2.  Are they going to take advantage of the limitless storage of the
web to broaden both the scope and depth of their coverage?

Believe me - I COMPLETELY understand the drawbacks of Wikipedia.
However, as cautious as I am about Wikipedia, I am questioning the value
of continuing our subscriptions to the traditional encyclopedias, if I
don't see a significant change in their business plans.

Thoughts?

Jacquie

"You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where
people sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of
employing wild animals as librarians...."   (Monty Python)

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
way." ~ The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03

"Education is not about filling a pail, it's about lighting a fire."  ~
William Butler Yeats

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School (GHS)
Gananda Central School District
3195 Wiedrick Road
P.O. Box 609
Macedon, NY  14502
315-986-3521 x 3144
jhenry@gananda.org
Library Page: http://www.gananda.org/webpages/hslibrary/
Blog - Library Links For Teachers: http://rachslibrary.edublogs.org/
Blog - Wanderings
http://wanderings.edublogs.org/

To change your LM_NET status, you send a message to:
listserv@listserv.syr.edu

 * LM_NET Supporters:
http://lmnet.wordpress.com/category/links/el-announce/

LEGAL NOTICE:

the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not
delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action
in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.