Wow! I actually got 22 replies for odd places to find books. Someone requested a
hit so here it is. I hope it starts out your Memorial Day weekend with a smile!

I had a Goosebump missing one year from Sept. finally after paying for the book at
the end of the year, it was found in a sofa bed! The saving grace was it was like
brand new, unlike many lost books that are returned.
***One of my students found his very overdue book in the trunk of one of the junked
cars on his family's property. It turned out that my student and his brothers each
had a junked vehicle where they kept their clothes and other possessions. ***In
lost luggage - the airline never found the luggage so we never got the books back.
It was all of the student's textbooks and a library book - total was about $400.
The airline paid the bill.***One of my students found one of our books on a shelf
at Walgreens. It was priced to sell.***Not exactly odd but sure was a milestone in
my career. We received a package from Southwest Airlines containing one of our
library books. A student had obviously left it on an airplane.***When my daughter
was 8, we were returning videos to the Blockbuster store, and her library book was
just the size of the videos. I pulled up to the drop-box, she dropped the "videos"
in and realized she dropped her school library book in at Blockbuster. We had to
wait until they were open later in the day to retrieve the book!***The oddest thing
I found IN a book (except for the condom) was a birth certificate. We had packed
most of the books into boxes for moving when a girl came in--frantic because she
had taken her mother's birth certificate--without the mother's knowledge--while she
was trying to help her mom find her birth parents. She stuck it in a book about
adoption and it had been packed for days--somewhere. That summer, while we were
unpacking in the new library, the girl and her mother came and helped us
unpack--and found the birth certificate. ***My favorite story from my time as an
elementary teacher-librarian was from a little boy who claimed his overdue book was
being held hostage under the television in his living room by a family of
apparently literate, though ferocious ferrets. Also, after questioning another
little boy about a book that seemed to have been chewed on, he told me that a
spider had done it.***Duct Taped to a prisoner attempting to escape. Yep, I work as
a prison librarian and one prisoner covered himself in books and magazines he had
pilfered from the library then attempted to escape over the razor wire, he was
using the books to protect himself from the razor wire. (That one is my personal
favorite to take the prize if we were giving one!)***
I had a student who lost her book over Christmas break. They thought they might
have packed it with the Christmas decorations and didn't know which box it would be
in. Sure enough, next Christmas came and the student returned the book.***I had two
funny incidents. I had a parent call me to ask about the price of a book. Her dog
had puppies, and she carried the book into the pen to her puppies, and they chewed
it. While I was on the phone with her, the dog came into the room, and picked the
book up off the coffee table, and she carried it back to the pen. The book was
about raising puppies! I had another student who had a book that was about 6 months
overdue, and she had looked everywhere for it. She woke up at 4AM, and said to
herself that the book was in her closet, and got up and found it.***OK, finding a
book in the fridge makes me laugh. When students can't find a book I always ask
them to look: in the car, under the bed, in the fridge..... one year a 7th grader
looked at me with a totally straight face when he heard the "in the fridge" comment
and said "yea, it was a pretty cool book." I laughed for a long time about that
one. BTW, he has used his quick wit to great advantage throughout high school. ***
I had a teacher find a book sewn into a couch cushion too! Who would have thought
it could happen more than once?***When she was about 5, my youngest daughter went
to the bank with me to return items to our safety deposit box. Some time later, a
book we had borrowed from the public library was missing. We searched and finally
paid for the book only to find it almost a year later in....the safety deposit
box!***My kids lost one book that we found about a year later when they had another
overnight guest who slept on the roll-a-way bed! ;)***I think this would be an
awesome thread. I've never personally found a book somewhere interesting, but some
of my students have reported doing so. 1. Sewn into a couch cushion 2. In the
freezer 3. Between the toilet seat and one of the fuzzy covers that goes over it.
***When one of my sons was in elementary school he (briefly) lost a book....in the
refrigerator! He set his book on the shelf to get a drink, closed the door, and
left. About 10 minutes later he was roaming about asking where his book was. We
found it, chilled, but fine.***I found one in the freezer once (and I have no kids)
-- which begs the question "what isn't in the freezer than needs to be?"
***I had a student find their book in the freezer. They had stopped for groceries
after school and carried a bag to the freezer along with their library book. No
damage to the book. Amazing!

Juliann T. Moskowitz
Teacher Librarian
Seymour Middle School
Seymour, CT 06483

Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore? ~   Henry Ward Beecher
(1813-1887)

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.