Richie's Picks: THE GREAT AND ONLY BARNUM:  THE TREMENDOUS, STUPENDOUS LIFE
OF SHOWMAN P. T. BARNUM by Candace Fleming,  Random House/Schwartz & Wade,
September 2009, 160p., ISBN:  978-0-375-87197-2

"Shake the hand that shook the hand of P. T. Barnum and  Charlie Chan."
-- Hunter/Garcia, "U.S. Blues"

Two summers ago I traveled across the country to  attend the tie
dye-attired Gathering of the Vibes music  festival at Seaside Park in Bridgeport,
Connecticut.  While  wandering about the Park that weekend, I came upon an
imposing statue  of showman P. T. Barnum and also noticed a Park road named in
his  honor.  I wondered what that was all about.  Now I know.

When P. T Barnum was born in Connecticut in 1810, the  U.S. was comprised
of 17 states and Lewis and Clark had only  recently completed their
death-defying expedition to the Pacific coast and  back.  When Barnum died in 1891,
the nation had expanded  to 43 states and he was sending mile-long trainloads
of circus people,  animals, and tents into those once-distant regions of
the country to  entertain millions and generations of Americans.

By the time  the paradoxical showman and impresario  died, he was also the
best-known American in the world, and he had forever  changed our world --
for better or for worse -- by giving birth to  modern day concepts and
processes of celebrity, hype, and  publicity machines.

"Tale learned two lessons that he remembered all his  life.  The first was
'learning how to call an adversary's bluff with a  threat that cannot be
ignored.'  The second was 'When entertaining the  public, it is best to have an
elephant.'"

Writing and reading about many of the Founding Fathers  is forever
complicated by the long, dark shadow cast  by their ownership of slaves and their
treatment of women.  In a  similar fashion, Candace Fleming's fascinating and
thought-provoking  biography of Phineas Taylor Barnum compels one to reflect
upon his  treatment of people and animal performers, his outrageous
distortions and  hoaxes, and his seduction and subversion of the media.

"'A fortune was made with a bit of good-natured deception,'  said Barnum."

On one hand, it was horrible that Barnum placed people with  physical
disabilities on public display to enrich himself.  On the other  hand, these were
people with no prospects for work outside of what he  offered, and he gave
them a sense of belonging and paid many of them  princely sums.  On one
hand, he was forever lying to and defrauding his  audiences.  On the other,
people really seemed to relish it.  "'First Mr. Barnum humbugs them, and then
they pay to hear  him tell how he did it.'"

My own reflections on the  showman's career primarily involve his
popularizing wild animal  acts.  Barnum actually won over the founder of the SPCA
who
admired  Barnum's caring of and about the circus animals.  And, yet,  we
can assume that his trainers employed physical pain and coercion on  a daily
basis to train those animals, a practice that has generally  been the case
since those days.

"The fact is, animals do not naturally ride bicycles, stand on  their
heads, balance on balls, or jump through rings of fire. To force them to  perform
these confusing and physically uncomfortable tricks, trainers use whips,
tight collars, muzzles, electric prods, bullhooks, and other painful tools of
 the trade." -- PETA (which provides graphic undercover videos  online)

But it is also a reality that if the  average American child is to become
emotionally invested in the future  survival of lions, elephants, giraffes,
hippos, etc., they need to be  afforded face to face opportunities to know
the world's greatest  creatures.  I know that I would not have experienced
quite the same  emotional reaction to the scenes with Peter and the elephant in
Kate DiCamillo's  upcoming THE MAGICIAN'S ELEPHANT, if it were not for
cherished memories of  having gotten to be up close to an elephant many years
ago  when I would drive my then-young children to Marine World-Africa  U.S.A.

Through his museums and circuses, P. T. Barnum provided those  in-person
experiences to so many Americans.

There is certainly no question that so much of  what has constituted
entertainment for the average  person over the course of my lifetime has deep
roots in the  wildly successful career of P. T. Barnum.  For example, I thought
that  nothing like the Beatles coming to America had ever happened before.
But I  sure was wrong!  When Barnum -- more than a century before the
Beatles  -- decided to contract with European singing sensation Jenny Lind to come
to  America and perform for $1,000 a night, he found that virtually nobody
in  America knew who she was.  Undaunted, he churned up a publicity
whirlwind so immense that by the time her ship arrived in New York "a mob of
people -- forty thousand in all -- was waiting for her" and he proceeded to sell
out her concerts night after night after night.

As always, Candace Fleming does a stupendous  research job and then knows
exactly what content and presentation of that  information will make for a
tremendously entertaining book from which you  can gain a whole mess of media
literacy, American history, and ethics  without ever once realizing that you
are immersed in learning.  From one  end to the other, Barnum's life is an
amazing story.  Again and again,  Fleming enhances her telling of that story
through the use of  memorable anecdotes, scores of photographs, and images
from newspapers of  the day.

I'll be heading back to Seaside Park -- given to the city  of Bridgeport by
Barnum -- for Gathering of the Vibes again this  summer and, thanks to
Fleming's THE GREAT AND ONLY BARNUM, I have a lot to  think about when I again
encounter that statue overlooking the  Sound.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
_http://www.librarything.com/profile/richiespicks_
(http://www.librarything.com/profile/richiespicks)
BudNotBuddy@aol.com