I am working on a brochure to pass out to my students before they go home for the
summer. I want to list things they can read besides just library books, such as
menus, cereal boxes, bill boards, etc. Does anyone have a list alredy created that
they would be willing to share? Here are the suggestions I received:

maps
game directions
instruction manuals
magazines
nutrition labels
local park signs
museum "labels" (I forget if there is a special word for the descriptions
of paintings, etc.)
exhibit catalogs
garden seed packets
brand names on sports balls (not to forget "Wilson" from the movie
Castaway)
posters
clothing tags
help wanted ads
newspapers
phone book
zoo/aquarium exhibit signs

Magazines and Newspapers!!
Maps and reference books!!
Travel pamphlets!!  Guide Books!!
Diaries and Journals of Adventurers!!

Do you have newspapers, magazines on the list?  What about T-shirts? DVD covers?

I try to emphasize with my middle schoolers the types of things they will need to
be able to read as adults in the work environment:  bank statements, personnel
manuals, employee memos, insurance policy manuals, application forms, income tax
instructions, instructions/manuals for any electronics or appliances they might
buy, advertisements received from newspaper or through mail, catalog descriptions-
both print and online.

newspapers
magazines
websites
bumper stickers

Newspapers, instruction books, directions to video games

If you have reluctant readers who swear they don’t read, hate to read, and
won’t ever need to read once they’re out in the “real world”, have them
keep a diary of all the ways they already read every day - cereal boxes, restaurant
menus, computer game directions, the football scores, TV listings - and where,
when, why they do it.  Have them keep a diary of all the ways they notice other
people in their lives read, too. Mom reads recipes. Dad reads street signs. Big
sister reads the directions on the box of hair dye. They’ll be surprised to
discover how much “real life” requires reading.

I hope you find these ideas useful...

Seantele Foreman
C.J. Harris Elementary
Librarian