Richie's Picks: IF AMERICA WERE A VILLAGE: A  BOOK ABOUT THE PEOPLE OF THE
UNITED STATES by David J. Smith and Shelagh  Armstrong, ill., Kids Can
Press, August 2009, 32p.,  978-1-55453-344-2

Wikipedia defines demography as "the statistical and  mathematical study of
the size, composition, and spatial distribution of human  populations and
how these features change over time."  And so one  can teach a new vocabulary
word and concept when explaining to  students how IF AMERICA WERE A VILLAGE
provides  a great lesson in demography.

But, more importantly, by imagining America to be a village of  100 people
and then providing answers to a series of questions about the  make-up of
those 100 villagers, David J. Smith offers readers the  invaluable opportunity
to look beyond the ends of their noses and their own  neighborhoods in
order to get a broader and more objective  view of the
three-hundred-and-six-plus million people ("1 birth about every  8 seconds and one
death every 12
seconds") who collectively make up these United  States of America.

The questions addressed in the book include:
"Where do we come from?"
"What religions do we practice?"
"How old are we?"
"How wealthy are we?"
"How healthy are we?"

I have spent most of my life living in four places.  I  grew up in
Plainview and Commack on Long Island; lived my years  right after college in
Southampton, Long Island; and have spent the second  half of my life here in
Sebastopol, California.  Are these places like the  U.S. as a whole?  Not even
close!  Thus, many of the facts I  learned from this book are as surprising to
me than they will be to  younger readers.

"A new immigrant arrives every 27 seconds," and "In our  village of 100
about 13 are foreign-born."

For instance, like Holling Hoodhood from THE WEDNESDAY WARS, I  have
repeatedly lived in communities in which a large percentage of  the families was
Jewish.  That only 1 person in our U.S. village of 100 is  Jewish means that
there must be vast regions of the United States where Jews are  as rare
as...well...as rare as the people of African descent were in the Long  Island
suburbs where I grew up.  (Our U.S. village of 100 has 9 people  of African
descent.)

IF AMERICA WERE A VILLAGE continues on to provide  contrasts between the
demography of America and that of the rest of the  world.  Particularly
striking are comparisons of material wealth along with  the fact that our village
is responsible for "21 percent of the world's  total" energy consumption and
that we are "the world's top users of  water."

The U.S. village of 100 (which was closer to 50 when I was  born) is a
place that readers will understand a lot better after  getting their hands on IF
AMERICA WERE A VILLAGE.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks
_http://www.librarything.com/profile/richiespicks_