Hi Kathryn -
I too have had that problem (groups of students who just made mornings
tiring!!) and it's a shift in thinking.  Instead of attacking them, I
just simply tell them that being in the library is a privilege, and it
can be revoked.  It's a group decision, not one I'm making for them, but
one they're making for themselves.  They know the consequences, and it's
their choice....turn it to the student instead of you taking
responsibility for their actions.  Also, a little humor doesn't hurt.
When I have to close down lunches due to the mess, I inevitably tell
them i'm not too into wearing hairnets and latex gloves due to my
allergies and clothing coordination of accessories : )
Another GREAT tool is having Vision software.  If a student is playing
a game and I have one that needs to write a paper, I can send a message
or shut down a computer, if necessary.  And those habitual repeaters of
networked games like World of Warcraft (argh!!!) I love to send to them
to the website barbie.com.... : )
Ammunition:
Go to any website that contains library statistics and how it impacts
student achievement...that should be all you need : )  I know Texas and
Colorado have one for school libraries.  Troll the internet and you'll
find them.

I hope this helps...it has me!  I still have students come in during
the morning but those rowdy pockets of students are GONE - and it makes
a biiiiigggg difference!

Naomi Bates
Northwest High School Library
Justin, Texas
nbates@nisdtx.org
817-215-0203

>>> Kathryn Turner <kturner@AISGZ.EDU.CN> 5/26/2009 2:18 AM >>>
I am wondering if others of you have lots of HS students using the
library
for their study halls. I sometimes have up to 60 students during their
study hall periods. (They aren't assigned to a classroom and the
principal
is against that idea.) I am getting burned out as I sometimes feel
more
like a study hall monitor than a librarian! I recently instituted a
"no
mercy" policy where I kick students out for a week if they're not
using
the library as they should (e.g., eating, being too loud, just
hangning
out bothering others). The atmosphere in the library has improved
greatly.
But I do resent being put in the role of having to be the
disciplinarian
and feeling like too many of my interactions with students are
admonitory
ones.

Aside from the above, I really do like where I work--great colleagues,
mostly students who work, a wonderful library staff. I'm also an
international librarian, which I love.

But I'd appreciate some 1) ammunition to give to my principal and 2)
other
ways I might positively deal with this issue.

Thanks.

Kathryn Turner
MS/HS Librarian
American International School of Guangzhou
Guangzhou, China
kturner@aisg.edu.cn

To change your LM_NET status, you send a message to:
listserv@listserv.syr.edu

 * LM_NET Supporters:
http://lmnet.wordpress.com/category/links/el-announce/