The overwhelming response was that keeping Accession Records is absolutely
unnecessary when using an automated computer cataloging program! One person did
advise backing up the records on a weekly basis. Below are some responses (without
names).

THANKS to all who responded!

have been in the school library field for 11 years have NOT kept any separate
ledger on paper or in excel.

computer system should be backed up by tech and that would solve issue of separate
accession records - they are kept electronically!

I stopped keeping accession records 25+ years ago.  I even gave up keeping the
shelf list on cards 10+ years ago.  I like Destiny.  It will keep an accession
record (sorta) if you use next barcode.  But it will be easier to assign vendors
unique ranges.

I have never kept accession records even in the days before online cataloging.  I
certainly don't see a need for it now since the barcode gives each item a
distinctive identification number which is what I always was told was part of the
reasoning behind accession numbers.

Why would you bother writing anything by hand?  Destiny can print out a list of
what you have and a list of what you weeded, by date if necessary.

I see no reason to keep an accession record if you have an automated library
system.  That is an outdated record-keeping procedure and no reason to keep on
doing something just because it was done before!

since we have Destiny I control all imports and record changing from either my
office or one of the schools. No one else has the ability to go in and change
records. In the past the library aides would add or delete records accidentally and
I would have no way of knowing what was really right without accession records.
Once we switched over to Destiny the company added my accession numbers to the
records that were converted, but I quit using accession books and numbers
altogether. I feel that I have control of the MARC records and so I completely cut
that step out. It is amazing how fast I can get books processed now without having
to type in accession records for each book. I would never consider going back to
that old way.

Carrie Casarez
Librarian
Whiteface CISD
Whiteface, TX 79379
806-287-1104 ext. 224
carrie.casarez@whitefaceschool.net

        <b>NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY:</b>

        This electronic mail transmission may contain confidential information,
belonging to the sender,

        which is legally privileged. The information is intended only for the use
of the individual or

entity listed above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any

disclosure, copying, distribution, use, or taking of any action on reliance of the
contents of this

electronically-mailed confidential information is strictly prohibited and may
violate Board policy

(legal) and the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). If you have
received this

electronic mail in error, please notify us by telephone immediately to arrange for
return and

correction of internal records; in addition, please delete the original message.