In an effort to get back overdue books I wrote the following poems a few
years ago which I read on the morning announcements.  A little humor
goes a long way....especially with middle school students.

Poem #1
Bring Back Those Books

Students and teachers please lend me your ear
I’ve a library message that patrons must hear
Our books you have borrowed the entire school year
But now it is time to return them, I fear

Return them today or things may get gory
We must have them back for the annual inventory
Please do not tarry, don’t think of yourself
Our books really need to be back on the shelf

Check backpacks and lockers and under the bed
If you bring back those books you have nothing to dread
But if you neglect our request and our plea
We will hunt you down and it may get ugly

So, as you wrap up the school year, please hear what I say
All library books are due by the 29th of May!

Poem #2
Overdue

Last week I made a pronouncement
Took place rather early on the morning announcements

I threatened and begged, did I not say
To return all your books by the 29th of May

Well, today is the day
Your time has run out
Bring back those books
And you’ll sure make my day

But if you ignore this polite request
I may have to ask for your speedy arrest
I’ll get out the handcuffs, I’ll rant and I’ll rail
Return those books or I’ll send you to jail

No really, just kidding
I can’t haul you out
I just want my books
Before school is out
So return those books and take care of those fines
I just want the things that are rightfully mine

And remember these words once said about readers
They often grow up to be excellent leaders.

Beth Martin
Teacher Librarian
DC Everest Middle School IMC
bmartin@dce.k12.wi.us