I've looked at the Stanford Copyright and Fair Use Site mentioned by Nancy Willard,
but didn't see this question addressed.

There are so many great postings from LM_NET that I would like to have my students
reflect on. I can't seem to make the search mechanism in LM_NET work very well for
me in trying to retrieve information - even when I know the poster or the date of a
posting.

What are the rules for my collecting postings on a certain topic from various
posters and giving them to my students to discuss -- either in a Google document,
collected on a wiki, or in a Word document? Does it make a difference if the
collected information is publicly available versus only within the class?

I assume this would be transformative and would fall under different rules than
fair use. Or not?

Thanks.

floyd pentlin

Floyd Pentlin, Instructor
Library Science & Information Services
University of Central Missouri
Weblog - School Libraries: The Steak and the Sizzle: http://fpentlin.edublogs.org/
Treasurer, American Association of School Librarians, 2008-2011
UCM: 660.543.4910
Office: 4200B Lovinger
fpentlin@ucmo.edu

Home: 660.747.0683