The moment you've all been waiting for! I've compiled all the responses I
got about technology purchase suggestions. I have to say, I didn't get as
many responses as I thought I would. Thanks to all of you who contributed.
Results as follows:
MHO:  Buy some inexpensive video cameras, tripods and a few wireless lav
mics.  They'll be useful for myriad projects--documentaries, filming
commercials or PSA's, etc.  My language teachers just used them for a
vocabulary project.

I work at a Middle School and we are using Smart Boards, Elmos, projectors,
scanners, copiers, digital cameras, and video cameras in our classrooms.
The library has a small quantity of all these items available for our
teachers except for the scanners and video camera. The bulk of our
technology is provided by our school/district technology funds. This year,
we purchases a large digital screen (at least 52 inches) to use at our main
entry to display an ongoing Power Point of student photos.  They include
class and school activities, field trips, special projects, and award
ceremony pictures.  Parents, kids, and faculty enjoy seeing these photos
displayed in a prominent place. (Really good public relations)

I would invest in LCD projectors, document cameras, and interactive white
boards.

Hi Tina,

A huge hit with students and teachers alike at my school has been using the
"clickers" or remote controls to take exams. We use the Classroom Response
System (CPS), but there are others out there. We chose CPS because it
"talks" to ExamView which we have for our Math classes, but we haven't used
that feature, yet. The kids love it, and the teachers love it because the
grading is done automatically. The price is about $2K for a set of 32
clickers and software. Your tech person can put the software on as many
computers as the teachers want. We use a laptop that travels with the
clickers, but teachers have asked for it to be installed on their computers,
so that they can create exams without using precious laptop time.

In addition, many colleges are using them now, so it's good prep for college
bound students.

Our tech dept. has recently been putting ceiling mounted projectors and
screens in classroom.  Since we have Discovery Streaming (a wonderful
program), these have been very popular.

won a SMARTBoard last year at TCEA and my husband and I mounted it on
the wall at the beginning of this year, it spent the summer in the box
in my office. I also have a data projector, document camera, scanner,
digital camera, speakers, overhead, TV, DVD/VCR, and a boom-box with a
CD/tape player. But you can go cheaper than the full SB and just get a
MIMIO, or I would investigate an EVO, no cords, can use it with dry
erase markers, or a tennis ball.

We love love love our Smartboards!  They are interactive "whiteboards" that
you can touch and manipulate without using the computer mouse.  We also use
iPods and record videos the kids make, educational songs, etc.  They love
listening to the iPods.  Our school also has sets of Senteo remotes.  These
remotes let the kids "vote" in their answers to questions anonymously or by
name.  Think American Idol voting in the classroom.  It's really fun and a
great way to engage reluctant learners.

Thanks again,
Tina Wilfeard
Librarian
Lyons HS
Lyons, NY
twilfeard@gmail.com

--
Life expands or shrinks in proportion to one's courage.
~Anais Nin