Subject:        81 81 RE: Other
Date:   Mon, 02 Nov 2009 10:02:47 -0700
From:   StudentAid <StudentAid@ed.gov>
To:     <debbisommer@verizon.net>

Thank you for your inquiry about federal student aid.

The U.S. Department of Education administers three types of student loans: Federal
Perkins Loans, Federal Family Education Loans (FFELs) and William D. Ford Federal
Direct Loans (Direct Loans). The FFEL Program comprises FFEL Stafford Loans, FFEL
PLUS Loans and FFEL Consolidation Loans. The Direct Loan Program comprises Direct
Stafford Loans, Direct PLUS Loans and Direct Consolidation Loans.

Loan forgiveness of up to $17,500 is available to new Stafford Loan borrowers who
have been employed as a full-time teacher for five consecutive years at a
designated low-income elementary or secondary school or at an eligible location
operated by an educational service agency. The portions of Consolidation Loans
derived from Stafford Loans made to new borrowers also qualify for loan
forgiveness.

A new borrower is defined as one who had no outstanding balance on a FFEL or Direct
Loan as of Oct. 1, 1998 or on the date that he or she obtained a FFEL or Direct
Loan after Oct. 1, 1998. If a borrower does not meet this definition, he or she
does not qualify for forgiveness under this program.

A Federal Perkins Loan may be canceled for certain types of service, such as
teaching, the borrower performs. A Federal Perkins Loan that is included in a FFEL
or Direct Consolidation Loan, however, cannot be canceled for service the borrower
performs.

Under the Department's teacher service cancellation provisions, a teacher means a
person who provides direct classroom teaching or classroom-type teaching in a
non-classroom setting, including special education teachers.

For the Federal Perkins Loan Program, a teacher also includes a person who provides
educational services directly related to classroom teaching; for example, a school
librarian or guidance counselor. This provision does not apply to Stafford Loan
borrowers; therefore, a Stafford Loan borrower cannot receive loan cancellation for
service as a school librarian or guidance counselor.

You can obtain more information about teacher service cancellation options at our
Web site at
www.studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/teachercancel.jsp?tab=repaying.

You should contact the loan holder to obtain additional information and the
appropriate forms to complete.

Changes to the current provisions or the creation of a new provision would require
Congress to pass legislation.

The College Cost Reduction and Access Act (P.L. 110-84) created a new loan
forgiveness program for public service employees, including teachers. You can
obtain more information about this program at
http://studentaid.ed.gov/students/attachments/siteresources/LoanForgivenessv4.pdf.

We hope this information is helpful.

E-Mail Unit
Student Aid on the Web
www.studentaid.ed.gov
Federal Student Aid

Let us know how we are doing. Please take a moment to respond to a survey regarding
the response you received in this email. Your answers will help us to improve our
service. You may either click on the following link or copy the Web address into
your browser:

http://fafsademo.test.ed.gov/ed_survey1.htm

===

Thank you for your inquiry about federal student aid.

The U.S. Department of Education administers three types of student
loans: Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Family Education Loans (FFELs) and
William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans (Direct Loans). The FFEL Program
comprises FFEL Stafford Loans, FFEL PLUS Loans and FFEL Consolidation
Loans. The Direct Loan Program comprises Direct Stafford Loans, Direct
PLUS Loans and Direct Consolidation Loans.

You can review the cancellation provisions for the Department's loan
programs at
http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/discharges.jsp?t
ab=repaying.

The College Cost Reduction and Access Act (P.L. 110-84) created a new
loan forgiveness program for public service employees. You can obtain