Okay, I promise this is my last question of the day!

This has been a challenge that has mushroomed in the four years I've been in
my high school library, which also has 27 student computers and serves as
the computer lab. Once-upon-a-time, only the English classes utilized the
library. It was their little kingdom and they could schedule weeks worth of
research time unquestioned.

Times change, and many more of our teachers want to use the library now.
This is such a good thing. However, those who previously had virtually
unlimited access to the library might not agree with me! They still schedule
6-8 week blocks of research time, six hours a day, for students to pull
together research papers. Some of this library time is absolutely necessary,
but I have the feeling some of it is also not so necessary. I was trying to
think of a workable solution to this dilemma, one that doesn't discourage
everyone coming to the library and scheduling in advance, but also addresses
the need for other classes to be here when they need to be. One thought is
to allow classes no more than two consecutive days per week, or put a cap on
three days a week of library time. I would love to know what others have
done in similar circumstances, as I'm sure I'm not alone in this challenge.

We are a school of ~500 students, with seven class hours a day. The library
is open 30 minutes before the start of the school day, 30 minutes after
school (and generally longer), at lunch every day, and one evening a week.

Paula Joseph-Johnson, LMS/Yearbook Advisor
Bristow High School Media Center (Bristow, OK)
pjohnson@bristow.k12.ok.us <mailto:pjohnson@bristow.k12.ok.us>
Twitter: http//twitter.com/pjojo
Currently reading: How Not to Be Afraid of Your Own Life, by Susan Piver