A lot has happened since I last posted to LM_NET.  I somewhat
precipitously retired from Woodland Elementary School in Southwick,
MA.  Since then I've been working on my  music library, my other
library identity (New Song Library).  And then, bang!  I'm back in a
school library.  Currently as a volunteer, although they hope to have
a librarian on board next year.

A friend of mine has children in the Pioneer Valley Chinese Immersion
Charter School and she told me that they are trying to start a school
library.  I just talked to the principal.  I'm excited!  They've got
lots of eager volunteers, but no one with any school library
experience.  They've got donations (a pretty impressive bunch of
books for just donations) and are trying to figure out how to get it
started.

This is an amazing school.  Kids start in K or 1st grade.
Kindergartners spend 75% of their time in a Chinese classroom, 25% in
English, being bilingual as the goal.  This is the school's third
year, so they have kindergarten through third grade classes and they
are just starting a sixth grade class that has two hours a day of
Chinese instruction (not bilingual).

So here's my first request for help (first in many, knowing the
wonders of LM_NET resources): Do you have any cards and pockets you
can donate?  and any other supplies for manual circulation?  We can
pay postage, if you need.  They've got Libraryworld for cataloging,
but it is going to be a while before they have money for automated
circulation.

--
Johanna Halbeisen, Librarian
Pioneer Valley Chinese Immersion Charter School