Hi everyone-
We have a teacher here who has her advanced 8th graders read award winners - she
recommends Pulitzer Prize winners and Hugo award winners.  I've only read a few of
them (Empire Falls, Stone Diaries, Beloved, Color Purple, To Kill A Mockingbird,
..and I thought the Bridge of San Luis Rey was in there, but the majority of the
ones I've read I'd be hesitant to put in here, mostly because of the interest level
or because the content would be over the students' heads..)  Do you think any of
these (other than To Kill A Mockingbird) would be appropriate to have (or hide in
the nonfiction section with the other literature) in the middle school for them?
Are there other awards (other than Newberry/Caldecott) that you would recommend I
look through?

Here are links:
Hugo awards: http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-history/
Pulitzers: http://www.pulitzer.org/bycat/Fiction

Normally I'd be up on these things but I'm teaching three classes this year and
creating curriculum for them as I go.  I'm also the new maintainer of the website,
which just got revamped.  It's being rebuilt from scratch.  See me hanging on by my
fingernails-it's a wild ride!  :)

Thank you  in advance.
You ladies and gentlemen are awesome.

Nicole Meintz