I got so many great appetizer suggestions. Many wanted a hit. Here they are, easy
appetizers!!! I love recipe day!

One of our favorites, we got from Paula Dean.

Sweet Chicken Bacon Wraps
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Prep Time:
25 min

Cook Time:
30 min
Level:
Easy
Serves:
12 to 15 appetizer servings
Ingredients

 *   1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)
 *   1 (1-pound) package sliced bacon
 *   2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
 *   2 tablespoons chili powder
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes. Cut each bacon slice into thirds. Wrap each
chicken cube with bacon and secure with a wooden pick. Stir together brown sugar
and chili powder. Dredge wrapped chicken in mixture. Coat a rack and broiler pan
with nonstick cooking spray. Place chicken wrap on rack in broiler pan. Bake 350
for 30 to 35 minutes or until bacon is crisp

.
Pig in a Blanket : Bake--biscuits with sliced cheese and hot dogs inside, dip in
ketchup

I take an 8oz. block of cream cheese, pour some cocktail sauce on it, and top it
off with the small, baby shrimp.

We are big on mixing cream cheese with mashed green olives to fill in celery sticks
(yummy!).  Also cheese fondue or mexican cheese fondue with bread to soak it up
(I'm sure someone still has a fondue pot with serving sticks...).  We also make
taco beef and serve them in the Tostitoes scoops with melted cheese on top.

Tortilla rollups
Thin cream cheese with some sour cream. Mix in some scallions chopped, maybe some
red pepper any other peppers if you want spicy. Taste the cheese, need salt pepper?
fix it.
Spread a layer on a flour tortilla large is better because the ends are kind of
wasted (the preparer tends to eat them when they're trimmed off) roll up the
tortillas and at this point they can be wrapped in a damp paper towel and stored in
a plastic bag in the refrigerator.
When its time to use them, slice into bite size pieces and serve with salsa.
Everyone likes these and they are easy. the only thing you really need to add to
the cream cheese are the scallions for flavor but the green parts plus some red
pepper is very seasonal.

Here's 5 easy recipes - all use cream cheese as their base.

Chicken Log

1 8 oz cream cheese, softened

2 small cans boned chicken (or you can cook your own or use leftovers)

1/2 c chopped green onion

1 t. curry powder

Mix together, shape into a log and roll in chopped nuts (almonds or pecans)
Refrigerate at least 2 hrs. and serve with assorted crackers.

Jezebel

1 jar (16-oz) apple jelly

1 jar (16-oz) pineapple preserves

1 T.   dry mustard

1/2 c. horseradish

Mix together until well blended.  Serve over cream cheese.

This can be put into containers and frozen.  Will keep for several months.

Party Sandwiches

1 8 oz. cream cheese

1/2 c. chopped walnuts

1/2 c. raisins, or any chopped dried fruits

1 loaf of special bakery bread

(We have a bakery that makes smal  round loaves of 12 grain bread, but Boston brown
bread or any heavy bread would do.) Blend together and spread on bread.  Cut into
finger sandwiches and serve.

Stack-ups

1 8 oz. cream cheese

1/2 cup chopped green onion

1 lb. medium sliced Lebanon bologna, sandwich size pepperoni or salami olives Mix
cream cheese and onion.  Spread on slices of lunch meat, then stack them to make 5
layers, ending with a plain piece of lunch meat.  Chill.  To serve, cut into
triangles, spear each triangle with an olive and toothpick.

Tortilla Roll-ups

1 pkg. flour tortillas

1 8 oz. cream cheese

1/4 c. mayonnaise

1 pkg. Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix

1/2 c. each of assorted chopped vegetables ( I use green onions, ripe olives,
carrots, red pepper and celery)

Mix cream cheese, mayo and dressing mix.  Spread on tortillas and cover with
vegetables.  Roll up tortillas and refrigerate for at least 1 hr.   Cut into rounds
and serve.

I have made an anti-pasto platter in the past- I roasted the peppers myself, but
you can buy them in jars, too. Then I added cheeses and salami and crackers ,olives
and marinated artichoke hearts. I used one of those black disposable Glad pans, but
you can use something fancier,by all means. A po-po platter(Chinese restaurant
appetizers) is always fun,too.

Goat cheese roll
Kalamata olives
Dried cherries
Good crackers
Goat cheese is hard to slice and I stayed away from it for years because it came
from goat. But it is delicious. Put a slice of goat cheese on a good cracker (not
ritz or triscuts, but a good water cracker or wheat cracker) and put either an
olive or a dried cherry on top. It is yummy.

This is a very easy "recipe", but makes very cute apps...on a toothpick, place a
cube of mozz, a grape tomato, a piece of salami folded into fourths, and a black
olive.  They look festive and taste great.  To save time, I buy string cheese and
cut it into chunks.  The salami can be replaced by summer sausage too.  These can
be marinated in an Italian dressing, but they do get very messy that way...

I have a great one that has chicken, ranch seasoning, sour cream, green/red
peppers, cheese baked in wonton wrapper cups....if I remember, I will try to send
the recipe later.  It is delicious!  If you don't mind experimenting, you could
make this easily without the real recipe...I never follow the recipe exactly...I
just brown/ grill the chicken...mix enough sour cream and ranch seasoning together
to cover up the diced chicken (about the consistency of chicken salad), peppers, (I
like onions in this, too).  In a muffin or mini-muffin pan sprayed Pam, press down
the wonton wrappers to make little cups.  Bake these empty for about 5-6 minutes.
Fill with a dollop of the chicken ranch mixture and bake until warmed
through...usually about 8 or 9 more minutes...  sprinkle with fancy shredded colby
jack or cheddar and sprinkle a little chili powder or paprika on top.  It is a very
easy and versatile recipes...sub in different veggies or seasonings....once you try
it you will understand why I don't usually follow the recipe, because no matter
what they always turn out delish!

At Thanksgiving, I put out a block of cream cheese with Dickenson's Cranberry
Relish and crackers.  Everyone loves it.  I actually saw this in a magazine many
years ago, and it called for a sprinkling of the green parts of green onions.  I
liked it like that, but I noticed that several family members scraped off the
onions, so I just leave it off now.
Also, I like the ham and cream cheese rolls with green olives.

Shiloh Adame
Westfield Community School
Library Director/6th Grade Study Skills
Battle of the Books Coach
shiloh.adame@d300.org<mailto:shiloh.adame@d300.org>

Please save trees. Print only when necessary.

E-MAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: Illinois has a very broad public records law. Most
written communications (including email) to or from school district officials and
staff are public records available to the public and media upon request. Your email
communications may therefore be subject to public disclosure.