You are right David, the purchase of technology and how you use it in the classroom
should come under the initial stages of curriculum planning. If the technology
doesn't add to the learning then it is not essential. Smart boards are great, but
you can use large sheets of butcher's paper and different coloured fluro sticky
notes for small group work and have a session that is just as creative and
interactive - and the end result goes on the wall so the brainstorming doesn't
disappear or stop - it can be added to by the groups throughout the piece of
curriculum. This type of session also addresses other outcomes - working in a team,
working independently, info lit skills - collating, organising, categorising,
questioning, evaluating prior learning. Kids can put their initials on their pieces
of paper and see their contribution - so can you - opportunties for peer
assessment, self assesment, portfolio and team assessment.

Trouble with technology is that we think it is compensatory - it is not and never
will be. Technology is complementary - it is good curriculum design, careful
planning and delivery that will engage students and make a difference in the
classroom - whether you use the latest and the greatest or pencil and paper.
:)
BC

Vice President, Advocacy & Promotion, IASL: www.iasl-online.org
The GiggleIT Project: www.iasl-online.org/sla/giggleIT/index.htm
LIS@ECU: www.chs.ecu.edu.au/portals/LIS/index.php
Australian School Library Research Project: www.chs.ecu.edu.au/portals/ASLRP/
Barbara Combes, Lecturer
School of Computer and Security Science Edith Cowan University, Perth Western
Australia
Ph: (08) 9370 6072
Email: b.combes@ecu.edu.au

"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that of an
ignorant nation." Walter Cronkite

This email is confidential and intended only for the use of the individual or
entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately by return
email or telephone and destroy the original message.