I am never one to tell a student they shouldn't read a book because it is too easy,
not at their reading level, etc. However I am having a problem saying it is OK for
5th graders to be reading the Twilight Saga. I checked online and the reading level
is 4.4, so it is not a problem with them being able to "Read" it. The concern is
the subject matter. The first book may start out calm, but as the saga continues so
does the maturity of the subject matter. It is listed by SLJ as Grade 9 up and
Amazon has it listed as Young Adult. I am wondering how others in elementary
schools are handling this. I asked the student if she was allowed to read it in her
classroom and she said yes, I know this teacher and she either has no idea the
student is reading it or has not read the book. I you are experiencing this please
let me know what you did and if there have been any problems.

Diane Mentzer - NBCT
Bester Elementary School
Hagerstown, MD
dmentzerlms@comcast.net