Richie's Picks: THE DREAMER by Pam Munoz Ryan  and Peter Sis, illustrator,
Scholastic Press, April 2010, 384p., ISBN:  978-0-439-26970-4

He was a boy who stammered; who filled his pockets, room,  and mind with
collections of all sorts of natural and seemingly random  objects; and who
grew up with a father so abusive and controlling that the  boy eventually found
it necessary to change his name in order to pursue his  dreams.

"He loved the rhythm of certain words, and when he came to one  of his
favorites, he read it over and over again: locomotive,  locomotive, locomotive.
In his mind, it did not get  stuck.  He heard the word as if he had said it
out loud --  perfectly.
"Neftali climbed out of bed, retrieved a pencil and paper, and  copied the
word.

locomotive

"He folded the paper into a small square and put it in a  dresser drawer
already crammed with other words he'd written on tiny,  doubled-over pieces of
paper.  Then he crawled into bed.
"Father's question from yesterday found its way into his  thoughts.  Do you
want to be a skinny weakling forever and amount  to nothing?
"The words in the drawer shuffled.  The drawer  opened.  The small pieces
of paper floated into the room and arranged and  rearranged themselves into
curious patterns above his head.

terrible      locomotive
chocolate      oregano
           iguana

"Neftali sat up, rubbed his eyes, and looked around the  room.  The words
were no longer there.  He slid from the bed, tiptoed  to the drawer, and
opened it.
"All the words were sleeping."

I guess that is as a good a place to begin as any.  I am  somewhat at a
loss for words or strategy in discussing this book.  There is  no every-day
hook to employ in describing this amazingly beautiful,  engrossing, inspiring,
unique, and memorable master work of children's  literature.

THE DREAMER is the dramatized, illustrated,  magical story of the childhood
of Pablo Neruda.  His given name was  Neftali Reyes.  He would grow up to
be a man of conscience who  spoke out for the underprivileged, one of the
world's foremost poets of the  twentieth century, and a winner of the Nobel
Prize for  Literature.

I had certainly heard the name Pablo Neruda, (and  sold plenty of his books
back in my bookstore days), yet I couldn't  have told you one fact about
him.

That has changed.  You can ask me ten or twenty years  from now about him
and -- thanks to what I just experienced -- I guarantee  that I will have
plenty to share on the subject of Pablo  Neruda.

"They heard Father's whistle.  Two times, three times,  and over and over,
unstopping.
"Laurita walked to the window.  'Has he gone  mad?'
"Neftali jumped up and rushed to her side.
"A plume of smoke drifted upward from the pile of notebooks  set on fire in
the middle of the street.  Neftali yelled,  'No!'
"He bolted from his room, through the house, and jumped from  the porch to
the yard.  In several giant bounds, he stood on the edge of  the street,
hoping to salvage something, anything.  But he dared not  reach into the
flames.  Father stood between him and the makeshift bonfire,  his eyes wild, his
mouth blowing the whistle again and again."

I have been waiting to read this book.

Two months ago, I attended Children's Book Day at Washington  Irving's
Sunnyside in Tarrytown New York.  While there, I had the good  fortune to ask
Peter Sis what he had been working on.  Sis, the  MacArthur Fellow who has won
a Sibert Medal and a Caldecott Honor, spoke to  me of working on this
project at length and in a tone of awe  and excitement akin to that of an
explorer who'd just returned from  previously uncharted lands.

I have been a fan of Pam Munoz Ryan's work for  a decade, since the days of
RIDING FREEDOM and ESPERANZA  RISING.  Among her many awards, she has won a
Sibert Honor, the  Pura Belpre Medal, and the Jane Addams Peace Award.
Nevertheless, her  writing in THE DREAMER is career-defining, and moves her
into an even  more select category of heralded children's book authors.

Together, Munoz Ryan and Sis repeatedly employ  inventive use of words,
images, and space in crafting the story of the  young and future poet:  There
are both little bits and entire pages of  playful, shaped sound poems, series
of Sis's images that foreshadow, and  other illustrations that stamp a bold
exclamation point  on the powerfully emotional scenes of Neftali's growing
up.

The tale concludes with a sourced selection of poems  and odes by Pablo
Neruda.  For the fortunate reader who finds and  experiences THE DREAMER, these
selections will each have real meaning  and, together, will serve as the
perfect entry point to seeking  out more extensive collections of Neruda's
work.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
_http://www.librarything.com/profile/richiespicks_
(http://www.librarything.com/profile/richiespicks)
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
_http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks_ (http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks)

FTC  NOTICE: Richie receives free books from lots of publishers who hope he
 will Pick their books.  You can figure that any review was written  after
reading and dog-earring a free copy received.  Richie retains these  review
copies for his rereading pleasure and for use in his  booktalks at schools
and  libraries.