Barb Engvall wins the prize for a speedy (20 minute) reply! As always, LM NET
librarians are tops in their field! :>)

Barb wrote:
Googling brought me to a Golden Book Collector site and I finally found almost the
same description here
http://www.goldenbook.com/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=2&showtopic=1134&highlight=candy

"The title is 'The Gingerbread Shop' by P.L. Travers. You have most of the details
right. It is a story from Mary Poppins and a little golden book."

Original Query:One of my 6th grade teachers at school remembers a book from her
childhood -- a Golden Book type of book about a boy and girl who go to a magical
candy store. The windows are full of candy and an elderly women helps them as they
enter the store. All types are candy are in jars with magical auras around them.
The old woman climbs a ladder and places a bucket of stars on an upper shelf and
they go to the sky?? She also breaks off her fingers to give to the children as
sticks of candy! I know it sounds weird--  kind of like a Charlie in the Chocolate
factory gone awry!

Darlene J. Forsythe, Librarian, K-12
Galeton Area School District
Galeton, PA 16922
dforsythe@zitomedia.net

"We don't own the knowledge-- we just know how to locate it!"