Thanks for the replies, everyone.  As we all know, LM_NET is such a great resource.
The general consensus is that the records are too pricey and not worth the extra
expense.  On my book fair evaluation, I also commented on the high cost of shipping
and library processing when using the Scholastic Dollars to order from their
catalog.

 I have decided not to order the library processing, primarily because of the high
cost.  I also have EZ-CAT and will use that for the records.  It just takes quite a
bit of time to search for the records, then to print all the barcodes and spine
labels and attach them.  However, I would have to attach the ones from Scholastic
anyway.

Here is the hit:

1.  I also think that the price is too high and I choose to use Marcive as a
more reasonably priced option.  When my Resource catalog order comes in next
month I will be able to request the MARC record from Marcive for about $.19
each and download it the next day.  I do not order labels or barcodes but
use my own on these orders.  Just what I do....

2.  I agree.  Processing from Scholastic is a waste of money.  I recently purchased
a set of state books from the Resource Catalog and ordered the processing.  The
books arrived promptly without the processing.  The labels and MARC records came
about four weeks later.  For $2.50 a book, labels and barcodes should be applied to
each volume.
Don't bother with processing from Scholastic.  It's too expensive and not
satisfactory.

3.  I think Scholastic's price for processing is WAY TOO HIGH.  I guess I'd rather
do them myself than pay their fee.  The quality of their records is fine, if I
recall.  Just too spendy for me.  Good luck.

4. I take my profits in Scholastic Dollars but do not purchase the records. I
have DESTINY and access to z-sources so most of them are easy to download. I
have an assistant that can process the books once they arrive and it only
takes her about 2-3 days. The shipping costs are high but I order enough
that I max the shipping at $100. I also order Scholastic News for the whole
school at the same time so it's like getting free shipping every month.

5.  I haven't ordered processing from Scholastic for about three years now.  I was
very disappointed and ended up having to redo most of it.  Perhaps they've improved
but I definitely didn't think it was worth the extra expense.

6.  I had Scholastic process book fair profit books once last year and it was
$2.50/book. A fair amount of my profit went to that, but like you, I don't have the
time to do them all.
The labels came only a one or two weeks after the books, not six.
 I'm not sure if it can be changed somehow, but the barcode labels were quite small
compared to what I usually have on my books, so that was a bit of a bummer.
I hope this helps a bit!

7.  I used to get the processing and the cards and pockets were fine but my profits
went way too quickly!  It is very expensive.

8. I've gotten those records before - the processing isn't as good as from another
jobber and I have found it not worth the very high price. Since the books are so
inexpensive, getting processing done practically takes away from getting a few more
books!
If I ever used the Scholastic Dollars again, I'd just do the processing myself.

9.  I have never done processing - but here are the MARC records I just got from
them if you want to check them out.

My original post was:

"After my recent Scholastic Book Fair, I opted to receive half my profit in
Scholastic Dollars and am preparing to order library bound books from the School
Resource Catalog.  The profit options really weren't that great, but I need to
supplement my book budget.

If you have ordered the library processing and MARC records from Scholastic, did
you feel that they were worth the price?  Were the records and processing as good
as you normally receive from a book jobber?  $2.50 per book seems high, and they
state that it can take up to 6 weeks to receive them.  I hate to spend the extra
money on top of the already exorbitant shipping and handling charges (not to
mention the high prices for the books), but I also don't want to have to catalog
and process a large number of books on my own.  (Very time consuming as everyone
knows.)

Please let me know what your experience has been."

Linda Patterson
Librarian
Hill Country Montessori School
50 Stonewall Drive