If you are planning to be in NYC this coming Saturday,
December 5, here are two programs that may ring your
bell. Have an hour? All day?

PROGRAM #1: 2:00-3:00, NYPL, 42nd St., NYC

This message is from Betsy Bird, children's librarian
at NYPL:

The Children's Literary Cafe at the new Children's Center
at 42nd Street is pleased to announce our event on
Saturday, December 5th at 2:00 p.m.: Everything I Need
to Know I Learned from a Children's Book

When you think of the great children's and young adult
book experts out there, one name consistently comes to mind.
The author of 100 Best Books for Children and 500 Great
Books for Teens, Anita Silvey has devoted 35 years to
promoting books that will turn the young--and families--
into readers. To do this she has appeared frequently on
NPR, β€œThe Today Show,” β€œ60 Minutes,” and radio programs
in the United States and Canada to talk about books for
children and teenagers. As Publisher's Weekly has said,
"It would be hard to find a more authoritative voice than
Anita Silvey."

Ms. Silvey will be on hand to discuss her newest title,
Everything I Need to Know I Learned from a Children's Book.

The Children's Literary Cafe is a monthly gathering of adults
who are fans of children's literature. Professionals, librarians,
authors, illustrators, publishers, booksellers, teachers, and
anyone else interested in the field are welcome to attend
our meetings. The Literary Cafe provides free Advanced
Readers galleys, a rotating series of talks with professionals
in the field, and great conversation. This program is for adults only.

Ms. Silvey's program will be held in the South Court Auditorium.

JUDY'S NOTE: If I weren't involved in the program below, I would
certainly be at NYPL to see Anita. I have the great good fortune
to work with her each summer at the 2-day Summer Children's
Literature Conference we present in July each summer for BER
(Bureau of Education & Research). This July will be our third year
together (our wonderful third presenter is Barbara Swanson Sanders;
together we are the Three Wandering Amazons . . .), doing two
day programs in Chicago (July 20-21) and Minneapolis (July 22-23).
If you're interested, go to <www.BER.org> and click on SEMINARS,
though it's not up on the website yet.

Anita's new book is a must by for librarians--I've been using it
in my BER seminars to ask folks this question: If you were asked to
be one of the famous contributors in Anita's book, what would be
the book you would choose and why? Kids can do this, too, writing
essays on the book that changed their lives.

In case you don't know of her, Anita was the editor at Horn Book
for many years and the publisher at Houghton Mifflin. She knows
every author/illustrator you can shake a stick at, and knows stories
about all of them.

PROGRAM #2: 8:30-3, NYLA Institute, lower Manhattan

NYLA's Early Holiday Gift to You: An Institute in New York City

Judy Freeman's BOOKS KIDS WILL SIT STILL FOR:
A LOOK AT SOME RECENT CHILDREN'S BOOKS
FOR GRADES PREK-6 AND HOW TO USE THEM
ACROSS THE CURRICULUM

In conjunction with
St. John's University, Division of Library & Information Science
Saturday, December 5, 2009
Saval Auditorium, Manhattan Campus
101 Murray St. (lower Manhattan)
New York, NY 10007

Judy Freeman will share her latest favorites in this
year's 2009 children's books, an
eclectic and indispensable assortment of compelling
read-alouds for children. She will demonstrate a variety of
motivational, practical techniques to link literature with
storytelling, booktalking, reading aloud, creative drama,
music, writing and illustrating, comprehension and higher
level thinking skills, and other across-the-curriculum
activities that bring children to books.

This fast-paced full-day show-and-tell workshop is a quick
literature blast for school & children's librarians or anyone
who works with children.

SCHEDULE FOR THE DAY:

8:30 -10:00 LANGUAGE ARTS:
Books about Books / School Stories / Reading & Writing

10:00-10:20 BREAK (& BOOK LOOK)

10:20-10:30 MORE LANGUAGE ARTS:
Writing Prompts / Poetry / Reader's Theater /

11:45 -1:00 LUNCH (& BOOK LOOK)

1:00 - 2:00 BOOKS ACROSS THE CURRICULUM:
Arts / Math / Science / Social Studies

2:00 - 2:10 BREAK (& BOOK LOOK)

2:15 - 3:00 FANTASY FICTION / ONCE UPON A TIME:
USING FOLK AND FAIRY TALES

A continuing education unit (CEU) will be available from
St. John's University for an additional fee.

Special Hotel Rates will be available for those traveling
from outside the New York City area

NOTE FROM JUDY: This workshop is the same as the
BER seminars I'm doing across the U.S. this year (though
it's half the price at $100 for NYLA members and $130
for non-members). I believe it'll be my only East Coast
program until my 26th Annual Winners Workshop,
which is the last week in April (go to <www.LU.com/winners>
if you're doing advance planning).

You do need to preregister for the NYLA Institute, though,
to make sure they make a copy of the handbook for you,
so if you're interested, go to:
<http://www.nyla.org/index.php?page_id=141> and
you'll find all the info.

Judy

Judy Freeman
Children's Literature Consultant
Reviewer for www.READKIDDOREAD.com
Author of Books Kids Will Sit Still For 3
(Libraries Unlimited, 2006; www.LU.com)
and Once Upon a Time:
Using Storytelling, Creative Drama, and
Reader's Theater with Children in Grades K-6 (2007)
and The WINNERS! Handbook (2009)
65 North Sixth Avenue
Highland Park, NJ 08904
732-572-5634 / BKWSSF@aol.com