I got this idea from another LM-NET listserver and it's fun, creates relationships,
and builds a base of readers, both teachers and students!!!
Every six weeks, I ask teachers to email me what they're currently reading.  I then
create placards showing their books title and cover and place these outside the
door of their room.  The students see them and some are surprised at what their
teachers read, esp. in the math department!  (For some reason, they think math
teachers sit around at night solving math problems...go figuee <no pun
intended>:)).  The teachers have the ability to make a book highly checked out
because of their relationships with their students and some find common ground of
something to talk about and discuss with them because of books both student and
teacher has read.
They love it, and it's always popular with my staff here.  If I don't have a
placard by their door when they come out, they'll email me telling me I forgot
theirs...and off I go to make one : )
BTW I use powerpoint and a laminating machine to make small 4x6 placards.
Thanks mysterious listserver for suggesting this about a year or so ago!!!!

Naomi Bates
Northwest High School Library
Justin, Texas
nbates@nisdtx.org
817-215-0203

>>> "BRIGGS, DIANE" <briggsd@TROY.K12.NY.US> 11/30/2009 1:14 PM >>>
Hi Almighty Brain:

I'm looking to add a little more excitement to my library. I would love
any ideas for contests, or ways of promoting reading, or things you do
to help the teachers in your building. Doesn't have to be
complicated...simple ideas etc. I will share it all in a hit.

Thanks,

Diane Briggs

SLMS

Troy High School