Hello -

Another one from the beginning of September…This one is on Magazine Archiving.  I
myself do not plan on having an index for ease of use.  We do have access to
databases and there is not much use of magazines for research purposes.  I have
kept the more academic ones until the storage unit they are in fills up and then I
will get ride of the oldest of those to make room for new.  All magazines are
offered to teachers for projects and the remainder is eventually sent to recycling.

One person cited lack of space issues that were the reason for disposing after 3-6
months on average.

One person only kept ones academic in nature and only then because they had an
index that could be searched.

3 years then our old magazines are up for grabs for teachers/students
to use in classrooms

We hold onto all back issues of the more scholarly magazines (Time, Newsweek, Nat
Geo, etc), but toss the fluffy ones (People, Teen Vogue) after a year.

The standard used to be five years, but with my online magazine database, I only
keep two to three years. I have Time and Newsweek bound going back to 1977. This
makes them a good source for primary research.

3 years

I put them in the TAKE pile as soon as I get the next issue - with the exception of
our cooking mags and building mags which are given to those teachers for classroom
use.

We usually keep about 12 months, although for the beginning of this school year, we
cleared out all of the 2008's and only have 2009.  Weekly or bi-weekly magazines
only get kept for about 6 months due to space limitations.  I should probably also
add that we only have "pleasure-reading" magazines, nothing for research since so
many of those are available online.

I only keep current issues of magazines.  Students use databases for research, so
we have magazines for leisure reading.  When the new issue comes out, I put the old
issue on the "To Give Away" shelf.  It works well for us.

Popular: 2-3 years. Research 3-5, but see if they get used. Ours don't anymore.

I am now only keeping the most recent 12 issues on file in the back room. I have
the newest issue in a protective cover for library use only and the previous five
issues before that one on file in my magazine rack for circulation (I circulate
them the old fashioned way with a pocket and card to sign). All together I have 18
issues of each magazine available.

I don't have much space so I purchased some cardboard magazine holders and once
they are filled I take the magazines and either give them to teachers and/or the
art department or I put them in the recycling bin. Sometimes, with the monthly's I
don't even wait for it fill up as I usually clean out after a year's or six months
worth. I do like to keep out underneath my current magazines the more recent older
issues, which I allow students to check out. This is something new I'm trying this
year because I got tired of seeing those magazines disappear into my backroom and
then just sit there. Even if students don't check them out, at least they might get
some more use being read in the library.

With all the databases we get through a GENEROUS Montana State Library & funded
totally our State Legislature, I don't archive any magazines.  Any issue in the
back room is fair game for cut-up purposes.  I do keep them roughly in title order,
but that's about it.
I started this policy about 4 years ago, and so far haven't had a problem with
someone needing a print issue.  Sure makes my life easier not having to inventory
back issues of periodicals once a year. Oh,yes -- I keep issues out for 2-3 month
before they move to the back room.  I have 160 or so students in grades 7-12, so I
don't have a HUGE number of periodical titles -- mostly browsing titles anyway :
People, Time, Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, Good Housekeeping, Hot Rod, etc.

The former librarian saved 5 years of all magazines and stored them neatly in
chronological order. Nobody ever used these. I finally put all of those in several
boxes and stored them for teachers who needed to cut them up for projects. I have
44 magazine subscriptions. I keep as many on the shelf as I can. I circulate them
until they start falling apart. In June, I'll take everything prior to 2010 and
store them for projects. No more archives, and nobody has missed them.

Jaclyn Adler
7-12 Teacher Librarian
Salem CSD
winsler2003@hotmail.com