Hi Again,

Thanks for all the responses on whether or not to have Ellen Hopkins' new book,
Tricks, in the high school collection.  I am going to purchase it personally this
weekend and read it, then have my parapro read it too (In fact, she is already
claiming dibs!).  Here are the responses that I received.

Thanks again,

Opinions of Tricks by <Xxml:namespace prefix = st1 ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"
/><st1:City><st1:place>Hopkins</st1:place></st1:City> for H.S.
Collection<Xxml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
/><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Pros (or, at least, not Cons):<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Absolutely! We have 7 copies. :-) Ellen was in
<st1:City><st1:place>Lexington</st1:place></st1:City> on Monday night for a writing
workshop and book signing. It was my total pleasure to have dinner with her. What
an amazing woman. Her books are honest; nothing gratuitous.  (2nd message)It is
graphic, but truth is. Had we been in school (we had PD), she was coming to our
school.  ARGH  We have at least 6 copies of all her titles and none stay on the
shelf for more than a day or so.  <o:p></o:p>
<O:P></O:P>
<o:p> </o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I'm a big fan of Ellen Hopkins and have read all of her stuff. I would say adding
it to your library depends on your community. It has many of the same ideas and
themes as her others-- though this one is about a very taboo subject
(prostitution), but it does follow suit and not sensationalize the topic but gives
a very realistic portrayal of both female and male prostitution.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I have a huge Ellen Hopkins following in my hs library. I just finished TRICKS, and
it is a fantastic book. Quite a few of my kids have read it, but I will not be
surprised if it is challenged. It is already being challenged in some schools. Is
it for everyone? No....but is for SOME? Absolutely, I think there are some who will
gain a lot from it. There is a large amount of sex, drugs, and profanity, but taken
as a whole, the book works. Does it belong in a high school library? For me, the
answer is yes. For some, it may be a battle you don't want to fight....I am willing
to defend it should it be challenged, but that's just me.<o:p></o:p>
I would definitely recommend reading the book for yourself before you make the
decision. Good luck!<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Neutral or Both Sides:<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I would suggest you read this one first....it's her grittiest novel yet, and
although it ends with redemption for most, it does capture some graphic
scenes...<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I'd contact the Library leadership at
<st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Norman</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceName>Public
Schools</st1:PlaceName></st1:place> in
<st1:State><st1:place>Oklahoma</st1:place></st1:State> about this title. They just
had a big "to-do" when Ellen Hopkins was supposed to come to a school for an author
visit but was banned from speaking at any of their schools. My sister, who is a
middle school librarian in the district, said Tricks  is not appropriate for middle
schools, but is on their high school shelves. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Cons (and Kind of Cons):<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I am fan of Ellen Hopkins, but Tricks fell short for me. I found it hard to follow.
I really had to remember which character was going through what to wrap my mind
around it. As the title suggests, the characters all start turning tricks for
varies reasons, so the sexual content is high. It's not graphic.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
i am 80 pages from the end of this more than 600 page book
at this time i will not be purchasing for our high school library
have not read anything else labeled for YA which is so very graphic
we also have her other titles which are wildly popular.  have read one
of these others but tricks is above and beyond the issues in the other
title i read, in my opinion.
the five main characters all have tragic events happening to them -
each character, chapter after chapter their lives get worse and worse.
some are slightly turning around towards the end but uncertain if it
will be enough to overcome all the events of their stories.
(unfortunately much like real life for many, i hate to imagine)
some teens will surely enjoy and appreciate her novel but i am not
certain that it belongs in this high school library.  would enjoy
talking with students about it but just not sure i could fully, whole
heartedly defend it being in our collection (unfortunately)
just my 2 cents!<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>

Deb Sherrod, MSL