My original TAR:  Our Middle School has a weekly SSR.  Many of the students
were coming into the elementary section of the library and checking out I
Spy books.  Yesterday I put out a display of various good YA novels and also
what I called "40 minute reads".  Basically books that were Middle School
appropriate, but which could be enjoyed for 40 minutes.

I think maybe the short Roald Dahl books like The Twits or George's
Marvelous Medicine might work.
Rachel Woodyer

What about promoting your short story collection?

Elois Greenfield's Talk About a Family is wonderful and falls within the 40
minute timeframe. You might also include the shorter works by Roald Dahl and
Patricia McKissack.

How about Chris Crutcher?

Cynthia Leitich Smith has some great recommendations at
http://www.cynthialeitichsmith.com/lit_resources/favorites/shortstories.html
Cool Salsa and Red Hot Salsa are favorites here along with Gary Soto's
collections, but then we have a large Hispanic population.

The 9/11 Report: A Graphic Adaptation
The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series
Artemis Fowl: The Graphic Novel
Various periodicals

Dragonbreath by Ursula Vernon is an illustrated novel in the spirit of Diary
of a Wimpy Kid, but with a fantasy twist. I'm not sure if it's a 40 minute
read, but it's close.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions
Lane Young
lyoung@nscds.org
Lower School Librarian and Technology Coordinator
North Shore Country Day School
Winnetka, IL