From: Shelley DeLosh <sdelosh4@TWCNY.RR.COM>
Subject: SHARE:  The Dewey Decimal Rap and Mountain Dew
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Date: Saturday, October 3, 2009, 6:45 AM

Someone posted the Dewey Decimal Rap on this listserv a while ago, and I tucked it
away for future use.

Now that I am teaching the DDS to my 5th graders, I found the link again and have
been playing it. Since the tune is so darned catchy and the kids were singing along
with it, I came up with the idea of offering a can of Mountain DEW to each student
who could memorize the 10 categories and either sing or recite that part of the
song to me.

The result has been phenomenal!! Out of 50 fifth graders, 25 have already
successfully completed the challenge and many others are still practicing. And this
has only been since Monday! I take a picture of each student with his can of
Mountain Dew for a slideshow on my website, and then post his name in the hallway
outside my door. The whole school is buzzing about it!

I realize that a can of Mountain DEW is not the most ideal gift. I hate the idea of
the sugar and the caffeine myself, but I did clear the promotion with my principal
first to get his support. You have no idea what a HUGE incentive the soda is to my
students, though!

Here is a link to my library's website. The rap itself is there, as well as some
pictures of my excited students:
http://www.camdenschools.org/webpages/sdelosh/?school=54

Shelley DeLosh
McConnellsville Elementary School