Well after almost 2 months here is the info I got from everyone!! I am sorry
about the delay, we have been VERY busy in the library!!! So far the
flexible scheduling has gone well, BUT I am doing the planning by myself and
not with the teacher. I have spoken with each grade level and explained that
NEXT 9 weeks will be time for collaboration!! Thanks so much to everyone who
had suggestions and offered encouragement!!

Original Question:  My principal SURPRSINGLY changed my fixed schedule to a
flexible schedule for my 3rd and 4th graders.  The teachers are not happy
about it and my principal and I have had several meetings with them to try
and explain our vision of how the library will be a new resource for them.
I understand their concerns and I have a few of my own.  While trying to get
them to  understand large, small, and individual use, the teachers stated
they are not sure they would know how to use me and the library to our full
potential.
My principal made several suggestions and I am giving some information to
them as well. BUT I thought I would ask the best resource I have for some
suggestions, lesson plans, projects, small/large group instruction ideas and
just general GREAT ideas that have worked for you that I can share with my
teachers. I will post a hit if anyone is interested.  I thank you all in
advance for helping to make this transition (hopefully) painless for all of
us!!

*Our own Toni Buzzeo has written several good books on collaboration wth
lesson ideas.

*David Loertscher's "Ban those Bird Units"

We work together to create a unit of study.  The classroom teacher and I
specifically list the objectives.  Usually the teacher begins with some and
I chime in with the info skills objectives that fit, too.

*Last year I worked with fourth grade S St. teacher on a Native American
project.  They were studying Native Americans in general.  We developed a
unit to include cultural and historical perspectives of tribes as well as N
American geography.  Using a set of "tribe" books the students were divided
into teams of 3.  The classroom teacher introduced the unit in her room,
they came to the library for 3 skills lessons.  We covered use of info
books, encyclopedia and selected Internet websites.  Students took notes on
assigned categories (historical location, modern location - reservations,
food, clothing, religion and/or government.)  I gave students a ppt template
showing squares for labeled slides and notes lines (3 slides per page) and
explained that they would need to transfer their notes to the appropriate
location of the template.  They also were required to create citations for
resources used.  When students had completed their templates in the
classroom (afternoon social studies times practicing note taking skills and
use of such notes) then and only then could they come to the library to
create their ppt projects with me.  I have 8 computers in the library for
student use, and usually 2-3 teams came together.  We had 74 students in 3
classes and the project took about 2 weeks.  Students came to the library
about 5 times, 3 whole class lessons and researching then 1 or 2 more times
to complete the ppt projects.
 Flexible scheduling allows me to do these projects with one or more
teachers in a grade level.  Last year the 6th grade teachers worked with me
on a total cross curricular career unit.  All 3 teachers brought classes for
differing experiences in the library.  Sure some of those visits could have
been done in the classroom with just the classroom teacher, but it was more
fun team teaching AND the students had a chance to learn in a different
style and location.  Variety keeps them learning.

*What I did for my 3-5 grades is list for them topics and lesson ideas that
we could do.  Many of them are the fixed lessons I have done in the past as
a way to reassure them that the kids can still come to the library.  I have
also taken on some small group reading remediation, become a rotation in
their stations, and still planned a once a month lesson that is drop and
leave so that the teachers get a break and I am sure I still see the kids.

--
Traci Magee, SLMS
Linden Elementary, Oak Ridge, TN

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't
read them.
- Mark Twain