Hello-

My school does a stereotype/ anti-bias curriculum. In Newsweek there was an recent
article about racism. In the article there was information about a school that read
a version of "Twas the Night Before Christmas" featuring an African-American family
and an African American Santa Claus. This resulted in a lot of discussion among the
students about the portrayal of well known characters or figures. I wanted to find
more books that challenge the traditional portrayal of characters. Does anyone know
of similar books that show "traditional" characters in a non-traditional ways.
Including a different race or ethnicity, or featuring  gay and lesbian characters.
I am looking for well known folk and fairy tale characters or stories. I am hoping
to develop a curriculum in the library that looks at these books and hopefully gets
students talking about multiculturalism.
I will post a hit with any titles I find.

Thanks!

Mary Catherine Coleman
Lower School Librarian
St. Stephen's & St. Agnes School