Hello,

I am new to my position at a high school, and the only teacher librarian in
my district. All other schools in the district are staffed with aides. The
principal at one of these schools is censoring and reconsidering library
books on human anatomy.
One book is* Almost Everything* by Joelle Jolivet (adapted by Alexis Siegel)
and contains pictures of the human body. the principal took a sharpie to the
pages, drawing modest swimsuits over the bodies, and crossed out labels
identifying parts. She is now considering whether to keep the other books on
the human body, which are DK and Eyewitness books. All reviews of these
books identify them as appropriate for the grades at this school (K-5).

Our district reconsideration policy does not address altering a book in this
way, and it also was written from the perspective that challenges are coming
from parents or other citizens, not administrators. The policy designates
the building principal to make the final decision on a materials challenge.

We intend to revise the district policy to reflect handling this kind of
situation, and are considering how we should proceed in working through the
one we're in. (As a new, nontenured TL, I must act with care).

If you have experienced challenges from administrators and/ or have any
practical advice to offer, I would be glad to talk with you.

Thanks!

Brianna Pannell
Teacher Librarian
Kodiak High School