I had asked for help in introducing how to write a how to to the 4th graders
and received the following replies. Thanks for all your help.

Sorry, my thumb hit the pad too quick. Help me, Mr. Mutt! by Stevens/Cummel
team has almost everything you would want in a book including lists, graphs,
how-to directions, wonderful voice, cute underlying story, and just well
written and wonderful picture book all around! I love this book.

Alvin Ho also has some lists in his book allergic to girls, school, and
other scary stuff. Another great little chapter book, but you could read a
portion, and then let it be as a book-talk.

Not a poem or a story, but an old favorite activity that I loved to use:
http://www.lessonplanspage.com/LAWritingParagraphOnPBAndJSandwich24.htm
The tried and true peanut and butter lesson.

I'm not sure if this is appropriate, but in my school the 1st graders do a
How To and I always start off with asking them to tell me how to make a
peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  Inevitably, it shows them how you have to
be concise (put the peanut butter on the bread could mean take the jar and
put it on the loaf of bread), etc. But if you want to add some technology
into it, why not see if you can access the WikiHow site from in school and
find some good how tos in there before you show them to the kids?  This how
to eat with chopsticks one is good, and if you wanted you could bring in
enough cheap wooden restaurant ones for them to practice with!

I'm not sure if I'm understanding correctly, but what if you used a recipe
book, or, a book that tells how to make different crafts (like paper
airplanes)?

J. Winberry

Ocean Twnp. Elementary School

Oakhurst, NJ 07755