Richie's Picks: PARTY by Tom Leveen, Random  House Books for Young Readers,
April 2010, 240p., ISBN: 978-0-375-86436-0; Libr.  ISBN: 978-0-375-96436-7

"What's the go?"

"Pumping up the volume with this brand new  beat
Everybody's dancing and they're dancing for me
I'm you're operator, you can call anytime
I'll be your connection to the party line."
-- Pink, "Get This Party Started"

It's a summertime Saturday evening, and an  enormous house in Santa Barbara
is packed to the gills, inside  and out, with hormones, alcohol, and high
schoolers.  The photo-shopped  invite had been tacked up around the high
school corridors  before summer vacation began.  This is the party that
everybody  has been waiting for.

We view the evening's unfolding events through the eyes of  eleven students
-- most of them incoming seniors; a few others newly  graduated -- who
bring their individual hopes and desires, prejudices and  points of view, angers
and appetites to that house on  Beachfront.

Containing a healthy measure of sex, tunes, beer, and  violence, this is
the one that my eighteen year-old plucked from the piles  as looking
especially entertaining.  I'm betting  that it will be one of those books that will
be embraced and  shared by any number of reluctant teen readers who are
fortunate  enough to run across it.

When I picked it up, I was figuring it would be a tasty bit  of junk food
for me to consume on a quiet Saturday night at  home.  But I actually found
PARTY to be far  more than that.  I was surprised and impressed that after
reading  these eleven intertwined stories upon which the evening builds, I
could readily recall in depth who every one of these eleven  narrators is.
There are lots of secrets and surprises about which we  come to find out.
And, because the book takes place over  this single night in the lives of each
of these eleven complex  characters, I am really wanting to know what is
going to  happen tomorrow with every one of them.

Don't miss this PARTY.

Richie  Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks _http://richiespicks.com_ (http://richiespicks.com/)
(http://www.librarything.com/profile/richiespicks)
_http://www.librarything.com/profile/richiespicks_
(http://www.librarything.com/profile/richiespicks)
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks_ (http://www.myspace.com/richiespicks)

FTC NOTICE: Richie  receives free books from lots of publishers who hope he
will Pick  their books. You can figure that any review was written after
reading and  dog-earring a free copy received. Richie retains these review
copies for his rereading pleasure and for use in his booktalks at  schools and
libraries.