I asked for help in coming up with books to be used during Red Ribbon Week, my
request included any books that covered nutrition as well - basically I needed
books that were about making good choices on what to put in your body.

I only got one response, but did some scouring and manged to find a half dozen
more.  I can't find the message about the recommended books, so if I didn't respond
before, then I thank you profusely now.

Below is the list I complied, included the one book recommended to me, called
Sylvie.  All I did was cut and paste the list I put together for my principal.
Since I have read the books, I included reviews or summaries found on Amazon.  My
principal also requested that I get The Berenstain Bears and the Drug-Free Zone.  I
hadn't included that one because it's out-of-print and very expensive, but she
still wanted it.  I hope this list helps others:

1.  Bird by Zetta Elliott:  Bird, an artistic young African American boy, expresses
himself through drawing as he struggles to understand his older brother's drug
addiction and death, while a family friend, Uncle Son, provides guidance and
understanding.  48 p. / Grades 2-5      $13.57 (HC)

2.  Sylvie by Jennifer Sattler:  The story of an adorable pink flamingo, searching
for her identity. When she wonders why she is pink instead of a different color and
her mother tells her it's because of the shrimp that flamingos eat, Sylvie decides
to try out some different colors, by eating lots of different things.  Sylvie
samples some grapes and turns a lovely shade of purple, snacks on some chocolate
and becomes a beautiful brown, and even consumes a piece of paisley bathing suit
and is instantly a gorgeous paisley all over. However, after trying all of
wonderful colors, Sylvie feels a bit yucky and a whole lot less like Sylvie.  40 p.
/ Grades K-2   $10.87 (HC)

3.  My Big Sister Takes Drugs by Judith Vigna:  Paul's teenage sister, Tina, is
addicted to drugs. He has seen her personality change and has refused her offer of
pills. He feels guilty but tells their mother. Later Tina is picked up by the
police for drug use in the park and is sent to a rehabilitation center. Because of
Tina, Paul's new friend Jose doesn't want to play with him and there is no money to
send him to soccer camp, but in the end his parents, his soccer coach, and Jose
turn out to be true friends. Muted realistic watercolors with black ink outlines
complement the text, capturing the feelings and dilemmas of the characters. This is
bibliotherapy rather than literature, and is best used as part of a drug
education/awareness program. 32 p. / Grades 2-3   $6.95 (SC)

4.  Showdown at the Food Pyramid by Rex Barron:  In this dynamic picture book,
personified foods fight a battle over good nutrition. Following the wisdom of the
Great Food Guide tacked on the wall, the various edibles that form the pyramid have
always tried to remain in balance. Then, dangerous interlopers overrun them and
take over the top level ("They had strange names like Hot Dog, Candy Bar and Donut,
and they liked to cause trouble"). The healthy foods almost give up trying to make
things right again, but the problem is resolved when the pyramid is destroyed by
its own excess; with all of that fattening stuff on top, it collapses "under its
own weight." The foods then rebuild the structure, a process shown in a literal and
amusing way, with sturdy starches supporting bright fruits and vegetables, and
finally, way up on top, a few sweets and fats, which are allowed to return.  32 p.
/ PreK-2    $11.55 (HC)
**Note:  The info here will be a little dated as the copyright date is 2004, and
the government revised the food pyramid in 2006.**

5.  Gregory the Terrible Eater by Mitchell Sharmat:  Gregory likes normal food;
eggs, vegetables, fruit, and fish. Normal food, for a normal kid, right? Wrong! You
see Gregory isn't exactly normal well not in his family's eyes. To them, normal
food is tin cans, boxes, tires, and mostly garbage. Well that is normal food...for
a goat. You see, Gregory is a goat and since he likes eggs, vegetables, and fruits
his parents think he is sick. But Gregory just wants to eat what he likes. So since
Gregory and his parents haven't had dinner together in a while (and mothers like to
have dinner with they're kids) they decide to take him to Doctor Ram. Doctor Ram
has treated picky eaters before but not like Gregory. Yet, he comes up with a
solution. That is to feed Gregory what he wants but to sneak in a little bit of
garbage every meal.  32 p. / K-2       $4.99 (SC)

6.  Danger:  Drugs and Your Friends by E. Rafaela Picard:  Introduces the topic of
illegal drugs, explaining what they are, how they cause harm, why some people use
them, and how to say no.  24 p. / Grades K-2       $21.25 (HC)

Kaline Goodrich, LMS
HES & HMS
Hermon, ME
kaline369@yahoo.com