Here's the HUGE list!  Thanks everyone : )  I knew there were some fantasy readers
out there!!  Can't wait to make a resource list with these for my kiddos!!

The hound of Rowan / Henry H. Neff is one of The Tapestry series, more for jr high.

Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series
Terry Goodkind’s  Sword of Truth series
Michelle Sagara’s Cast books (Cast in Shadow, Cast in Courtlight, Cast in Secret,
Cast in Fury, Cast in Silence)
Mercedes Lackey’s Valdemar books
Terry Pratchett! Though I wouldn't just get recent titles, but go back to get the
Witches trilogy (Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies) and the City Watch
books (Guards! Guards! and Men at Arms) as necessary precursors to later books.
I love the Great Tree of Avalon trilogy and the Lost Years of Merlin both by
T.A.Barron.  He has a new series out with two of the three books written, Merlin's
Dragon is the series title and it fits chronologically between the other two.
  Chalice by Robin McKinley is good too.
Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series - Wizard's First Rule is the first volume.
This is the one that the TV series Legend of the Seeker is based on.

Try the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan:
   Bk 1: The Ruins of Gorlan
   Bk 2: The Burning Bridge
   Bk 3: The Icebound land
   Bk 4: The Battle for Skandia
   Bk 5: The Sorcerer of the North
   Bk 6: The Siege of Macindaw
   Bk 7: Erak's Ransom
   Bk 8: The Kings of Clonmel
Here are some titles that are popular here. Many of them are the first of a series.
Inkheart
Demons of the Ocean
Shamer's Daughter
Artemis Fowl
Redwall
Midnight for Charlie Bone
Mister Monday
Dreamhunter
Magyk
Green Rider
Ruins of Gorlan
Revenge of the Witch
Lightning Thief
Alanna: first adventure
Terrier
Merchant of Death
HTH
Eragon (series) Christopher Paolini
Tapestry (series) Hound of Rowan by Henry Neff
Charlie Bone (series) by Jenny Nimmo
Shadowmancer (series) by G.P. Taylor
Mirror of Merlin by T.A. Barron
Keys to the Kingdom (series) Garth Nix
Gregor the Overlander (series) Suzanne Collins
Ranger's Apprentice (series) by John Flanagan
Pendragon (series) DJ McHAle
Bone (graphic novel series) by Jeff Smith
Monster Blood Tattoo The Foundling (series) by D.M. Cornish
Wind on Fire Trilogy by William Nicholson
Heir Apparent by Vivan Vande Velde
Elf Realm (series) by Daniel Kirk
Cry of the Icemark by Stuart Hill
Dragonlance:  Young Adult Chronicles (series) A Rumor of Dragons by Margaret Weis

How about the Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray  (Rebel Angel, A Great & Terrible
Beauty, Sweet Far Thing).

Jim Butcher Furies series, the first book is the Furies of Calderon.  The next book
comes out in November and I think that that will end the series, but I'm not sure.
Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory have two trilogies set a thousand years apart.
The last book in the second trilogy just came out.  The first book in the first
trilogy is The Outstretched Shadow
Both of these are very popular with the guys here.

Kids here LOVE City of Bones series and Wicked Lovely series - both boys and girls.
I'd add Kenneth Opal's series, Scott Westerfelds Uglies series and Garth Nix's
series Sabrial and others....  the first two don't have the elements you say - more
people oriented but definitely fantasy.  The last has necromany....interesting.
City of Bones has humans, werewolves, vamps, etc....
Wicked Lovely is humans and faeries....
've just read what began as a 2-part series (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker) by Karen
Miller - Innocent Mage followed by Awakened Mage; she is now following the story
line with a 'new generation' of the family in the just released Prodigal Mage
(Fisherman's Children). The world is a 'divided' kingdom where 1 part of the world
is set apart and totally subsumed by darkness (evil magic), with the wizard-types
and (apparently) non-wizards living somewhat uncomfortably together and trying to
preserve the remaining portion of the world. Some things I find interesting here
include the essentially 'racial' tension between the 2 groups; and also that the
king/high magician/weather worker suffers through creation - it physically destroys
the individual to keep their world and environment safe.

I also started reading another of Ms Miller's series (Godspeaker Trilogy), but I
personally found that way too "old testament" (smite this, smite that, very
judgmental: It's as though she literally took a theme from the Christiain old
testament and set it into a magical setting - incredibly dark and heavy), whereas
the other seems to be more hopeful.
I'm not sure if The Adventures of Alfred Kropp would apply here-it has to do with
King Arthur.
Some popular authors here are:
Anne McCaffrey
David Eddings
PC Cast
Harry Turtledove
Robert Jordan
Margaret Weis
Terry Brooks
Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
Hilari Bell
the Icemark Chronicles by Stuart Hill (I love these books!)
Graceling by Kristin Cashore
the Faerie Path series by Frewin Jones

The Purple Emperor by Herbie Brennan

Naomi Bates