Thank you to all who took the time to respond!

My original post:

What types of lessons do you do with Kindergarten. I have searched the archives,
but not exactly what I'm looking for.
I have a very young kindergarten, which honestly is more like preschool. Since I
teach preschool, many of them have already had my preschool storytime lessons. I
want to advance them to kindergarten library lessons, not just a storytime.I have
no problem finding books which they enjoy, but need some activities to tie in with
the books.

You may want to take a look at this site's offering for Kindergarten.  I
have used some of their lessons in the past.
http://hcps2.hanover.k12.va.us/instruction/media/LessonPlanBook.htm

A couple of the activities that I've done with kindergarten...
        Fiction/Nonfiction-I pulled copies of several nonfiction & fiction books.
At the beginning of the lesson, I went over the description of fiction & nonfiction
and made a chart with pictures.  Then, I showed them each book and we discussed
whether they were fiction or nonfiction.  Next, I sent the students to their tables
and as groups, they sorted the books into two piles (fiction/nonfiction).  I walked
around and helped the groups.  As an independent practice activity, I made up a
sheet with clipart and basic sentences and they had to circle whether it was
fiction or nonfiction.  To make it even more simple, you could just make up a page
of pictures and have them circle only the fiction pics.  I repeated this lesson
using different books and examples the following week.
        Prediction-I discussed with the students how we make predictions.  Then, I
read aloud a few books and we stopped periodically through the story to predict
what would happen next.  When The Leaf Blew In by Steve Metzger was great because
it was very easy for the students to predict what would happen next or which animal
the story would talk about next.  During the last book, I stopped and had them draw
a picture of what they thought would happen next to the character, and then we
discussed it and finished the book.

I hope this helps and I hope you will share with me any other lesson ideas that you
come up with!!  I'm always struggling to find activities for kindergarten.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teach them the same lessons again, they may remember some of the
stories, but they love it when you reteach them.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My classes always like retelling stories either with puppets, paper cut out
characters from the stories or just acting out the parts.
You can find my overview of units & lessons for Kindergarten (and
preK, too) here: http://tinyurl.com/yfm3rnt    For Kindergarten, the
big focus is on library routines, book care, storytelling, and
navigating the library.  Our big units of the year are Mother Goose (a
project taught by all the special area teachers--we learn rhymes, sing
rhymes, act out rhymes, paint rhymes...), Red Riding Hood (we read
different versions of the story, then use dress up clothes to act it
out; we use a digital camera to record all the "scenes", then do
sequencing activities & more storytelling with the pictures), and a
very simple research unit (we use pictures in non-fiction books to
find out about ocean animals, then draw & label pictures of them.)

Some of my project teaching pages (with weblinks to other activities)
are here: http://squareone.pbworks.com/MediaTeatime

Hope this helps!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 usually do an author study or a book and activity related to the "letter of the
week" in the classroom.
How long are your classes? Mine are 30 minutes which includes book exchange.

For letter T week last week I read Ridiculous by Michael Coleman. We discussed the
difference between Turtles and Tortoises, we discussed Fiction v. Nonfiction, I
showed them several non-fiction books, with pictures of painted turtles and
pictures of desert tortoises (as in the book). They then drew a picture of the
tortoise in the story doing something that she did in the story. The sheet they
draw on also has a painted turtle for them to color at home. We usually only have
time to draw not color for this lesson, so they take it home to finish.

For letter M week this week I'm reading Robert Munsch's Moira's Birthday, and then
we talk about storytelling and how when you TELL the story, you can make changes.
Then I take them to his website and show them how they can listen to him TELL the
stories that he writes. He cannot change the book, but when he tells it he CAN
change it. We then listen to him tell Moria's Birthday, and discover that he DOES
change it... even changes the girls name. We discuss the changes. They go home with
a book mark that has his website on it so that they can listen at home.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How about an author study for example my new mentor in OK recently presented an
author study on Lois Ehlert and then had the students create a fabric collage in
the library.  It was wonderful, I didn't know this author's background so I learned
alot too.
I hope this helps
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to this website - awesome resource for library lessons!!!
http://hanover.k12.va.us/instruction/media/LessonPlanBook.htm

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am at a K-1 school (just my second year here) and see 13 kindergarten classes and
1 pre-k class every week.   Here's one idea - we spend the first several weeks
talking about taking care of library books and the best lesson I've used is the
Book Doctor.  I got this from this listserv or the internet, can't remember, but
the kids love it and remember it.  I start off telling them we can't have story
time today because some of the books are "sick" and have to go see the book doctor
(I put on a white doctor's coat).  I have several books that have been discarded or
need repair and give one to each student or pair of students.  I ask them to see if
they can find what is wrong with the book. Then we go through as a class and talk
about each one, what's wrong, whether or not I can fix it (I bring out the book
repair tape, glue, etc. for them to see what I do).  At the end we talk about how
to take care of books so they don't have to go see the book doctor.  I try to cover
little tears (easy to fix, keeps them from becoming big tears), spills (usually
have to throw the book away), keeping books away from pets (I have a book chewed by
a dog - that gets there attention!), damaged spines, etc.  It makes a much stronger
point than just telling them to put their book in a safe place at hom
We do a lot with book selection, finding the "best" bok for you, looking at
interest, amount of pictures and text etc.  They also sort iwth math curriculum and
can do some "sorting" into categories to see that the books need to be put in
certain places.  We do a lot with fiction/nonfiction, title, author, illustrator,
spine, title page etc.  Also feel it's important they know what LMC is for and what
they can find there - research questions they want to know more about etc.  Hope
that helps a little.

Belinda Rusnock
Librarian
Vitalistic Therapeutic Charter School and Center
Bethlehem, PA
br711@rcn.com